Talk

Advanced search

Anyone live in Colchester?

(8 Posts)
Strawberry72 Tue 27-Aug-19 18:03:49

Hi,

I have been offered a job in Colchester and wanted to know what the area is like...any nicer areas and areas to avoid. I am working there 4 days a week but staying up the in the north east the rest of the time. I have been offered a decent relocation package which I plan on using for renting somewhere or AirBnB.

The job is a promotion, in a field that I have tried to get into for quite a while now, and I really do have to leave my current job due to working nightshifts (12.5 hrs) and suffering with my health/quality of life.

We are 6 months away from being mortgage free and we have another house, in trust, as well as a nice pay rise for me. So, money not an issue (I also travel by train for free). We have decided that I will use the relocation package to rent for a couple of years and then decide if we want to carry on, move the whole family there, or get a new job.

What is Colchester like?

OP’s posts: |
autumnboys Tue 27-Aug-19 18:09:47

We have lived in Colchester for the last 15 years, so I am biased & think it’s lovely. If it’s possible, can you give a rough idea of where you’ll be? Traffic can be awful in the mornings, so, as you have the choice, I’d be looking close-ish to work.

There was a very similar thread recently.

Strawberry72 Tue 27-Aug-19 18:10:50

Colchester Hospital

curlscatsandkids Tue 27-Aug-19 18:12:06

Have a look a West Bergholt- lovely village just outside of town. Near the station and colchester hospital.

VictoriaBun Tue 27-Aug-19 18:15:19

Witham is on the train and just a few stops from Colchester.
Tiptree maybe ? Or Kelvedon .

TopBitchoftheWitches Tue 27-Aug-19 18:17:47

I lived there for 20 years and now live in a town just outside Colchester.

I agree traffic is awful in the mornings, especially with the Ipswich road roundabout roadworks.

Strawberry72 Tue 27-Aug-19 18:34:09

Thanks
Yes, I will be using the train a lot so need to be close to the station. I doubt I will be driving at all tbh. I am planning on taking my fold up bike with me but would like to be close to the station and hospital (or near a bus route).

autumnboys Wed 28-Aug-19 20:42:38

St John’s, Highwoods then maybe? My husband commutes to London by cycling across the country park and then getting the train. The hospital is also just the other side of the park, I could walk there in under 15 minutes. Myland/Mile End also worth looking at and possibly the new build estates off Boxted Road, which would be reasonably near to the back entrance to the hospital off the Northern Approach Road. I don’t think you can drive in through there but you could cycle in I think.

Schools are reasonable, although if you’re likely to need secondary, have a look at catchments. The Gilberd had an outstanding Ofsted recently and has become even more popular. Families in Myland who would normally have got their kids in we’re disappointed this year. That said, the Gilberd is part of a consortium that will head up a new school being built fairly nearby, so that will improve matters all round, hopefully.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in