Talk

Advanced search

Clothing for senior role interview

(9 Posts)
Ridiclious Fri 16-Aug-19 23:02:03

I'm fortunate enough to have been offered an interview for a senior role in a new company. Interview next week. I haven't been interviewed in 10 years and have no idea what to wear! I last wore a suit for an internal transfer role and the 2 people interviewing me were surprised at my suit (although I was also presenting at another meeting on the same day). I never wear a suit for my job but sort of feel I ought to for the interview. But actually I'd feel weird. But I want to look the part! Please advise!

OP’s posts: |
MarthaDunstable Fri 16-Aug-19 23:04:05

I’d say suit, but I’m in finance.

Look at your new firm’s website. What are they wearing in their online photos?

Ridiclious Sat 17-Aug-19 22:50:01

That's a great idea! Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
Fraggling Sat 17-Aug-19 22:59:08

Industry dependent I'd say.

I'd wear a suit as well but also in in finance!

Good idea about looking at website.

I'd say err on side of overdressed rather than under.

Don't suppose you know anyone who works there or going via a recruiter you can ask?

Also. If in touch with HR to arrange you could just ask. I don't think they'd think it was a weird question. As I've got older over realised I spent too much time trying to solve things for myself when actually other people just knew the answer and it was perfectly reasonable / expected to ask them!

luckygreeneyes Sat 17-Aug-19 23:04:49

Unless it’s creative industry or app dev...

I’d wear a smart dress with either long sleeves or a jacket. Think the fold, maybe reiss.

luckygreeneyes Sat 17-Aug-19 23:10:15

Something like these...

BalancingStick Sat 17-Aug-19 23:24:20

Definitely over/dressed. Smart dress, heels and jacket / always looks good. Good luck!

stucknoue Sat 17-Aug-19 23:54:53

I'd wear a suit or dress and jacket unless it's particularly modern, even then I would still go smart. If it's not finance or law I would choose a jacket that's a bit softer though, not an 80's style power suit! Classic colours

CloudsCanLookLikeSheep Mon 19-Aug-19 13:40:19

Either trouser suit /skirt suit or dress and jacket. If suit then nice top, not necessarily shirt.

Are there 2 stages? As you may want to plan 2 outfits in that case (don't think it looks great to wear the same outfit twice)

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in