Advanced search

Pastoral care roles in schools

(2 Posts)
icecreamsundae32 Tue 13-Aug-19 12:54:42

Can anyone tell me what qualifications or experience is needed to work in a pastoral care role in schools, with the children and potentially with their families too. Where are these jobs normally advertised?

I have previously worked with children for many years as a childminder and a Montessori teacher. I have lots of experience with sen as my oldest has adhd and autism so I've done a lot of courses from both a parent and professional point of view. I am also considering a degree in psychology and counselling. It is an area of great personal interest for me.

A lot of the advice and support we have received from various professionals has not been suitable for children like my son and it is often frustrating as I find I could give kids and their families better support having experienced it myself. The only really useful support and advice came from someone working for mencap who had children on the spectrum herself and got into it for the same reasons as me! However, we moved areas now so no longer have contact with this person to ask her how she went about getting her job lol.

icecreamsundae32 Tue 13-Aug-19 13:12:58

Should also add I was deputy head at my Montessori school and was designated safeguarding lead so had to do that training every two years and did a lot of senco work too IEPs etc

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »