Talk

Advanced search

Any City HR people out there - how long should it take before I hear about application?

(7 Posts)
justaftb Thu 08-Aug-19 13:40:07

I have applied for 3 jobs this week directly through the company jobs portals. They are all large international financial services companies in the City. I am in a niche profession and fit the job descriptions for the posts. I would hope to at least get a call about my applications as I don't think I'd be ruled out based on my CV.

When you are applying through a company's own site, does this tend to be a slower process? Is within 3 days too much of an expectation? Or is it because it's August and people are on holiday?

And if the role is in the process of being filled already, would the HR department contact me to say it's no longer open?

I find the anonymity of the portal application difficult as there is usually no contact point.

PickleSarnie Sun 11-Aug-19 12:33:30

Following. I'm in almost the same boat. I've applied to jobs that, on paper, my CV would he a good match. But heard pretty much nothing. Other than calls from a couple that randomly are in a totally different industry and didn't think my CV would be such a good fit

I'd even prefer a "thanks but no thanks" email over total radio silence.

PickleSarnie Sun 11-Aug-19 12:37:09

I'm also applying to financial services companies in the City. Perhaps they've all gone on holiday together!

justaftb Mon 12-Aug-19 17:27:29

Hi. I ended up posting about this on AIBU as there was no reply originally.

It seems if anyone is to get back to me, it'll take a week or 2. Of course, there are many replies about how people have applied for jobs and no one has gotten back to them at all.

I don't assume being ultimately successful in getting the roles, but I know my profession and know that there are not a lot of people who do what I do, so would expect a response at least. I'm being impatient because I've already mentally checked out of my current job!

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/3660327--to-expect-a-response-to-job-application-within-3-or-4-days

PickleSarnie Mon 12-Aug-19 20:15:37

Thanks for the link to your other post. Mostly reassuring!. I've also mentally checked out of my job. But need to try not to check out too much incase they sack me! It's much less stressful looking for a job whilst you have a job.

Tonight will be spent refining my CV. It's the first one I've written in years. I think I need to get better at bigging myself up though - scared it's falling through the gaps when they scan them with ATS software.

Eurgh. I'm so impatient!!

justaftb Tue 13-Aug-19 11:25:12

@PickleSarnie - My advice is take your time with your CV and refine, refine, refine. Don't rush your application. Write it and leave for the night and look again the next day. I am kind of afraid I rushed my applications last week and keep thinking about possible ways I could have made them better.

CloudsCanLookLikeSheep Mon 19-Aug-19 13:50:05

I don't have experience of the city, but more and more now employers don't get back to you unless they want to take your application forward. Its also not unusual not to hear back unless you're successful once you've been to interview/tests / jumped through hoops.

Basically if you've not heard anything after a couple of weeks then no news is bad news.. before then it's just no news.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »