Talk

Advanced search

Night shifts

(7 Posts)
sheard Fri 26-Jul-19 19:36:16

I got a job as a care assistant and I have to so a night shift one per week advice please I was thinking to sleep few hours afternoon before shift then not sleep more than few hours morning after so I'm tired and aleep normal next night

Stripes100 Fri 26-Jul-19 19:38:06

I go to bed from about 3-5.30pm prior to a night shift. The next day if I don’t have another night shift I get up between 12-2pm depending how well I sleep and I always sleep normally that night

Frequency Fri 26-Jul-19 19:43:04

I tend not to sleep before a night shift. I find it impossible to nap unless I'm shattered. If It's possible i.e I don't have work/interviews/errands etc that day I will try to have late night and a lay in.

After a night shift I go to bed at around 11 and get up between 3:30 and 4pm and back to bed again between 12am and 2am depending on my shift the next day if I have one.

bloodywhitecat Fri 26-Jul-19 19:45:21

I used to not be able to sleep in the day before a night shift, if I was doing a one off night I would grab a couple of hours sleep that morning then be up by 11 at the latest so I could get back into the swing of day shifts.

sheard Fri 26-Jul-19 20:36:50

Thanks advice appreciated

savingshoes Mon 05-Aug-19 02:00:59

Depending on the neighbours lawnmower/DIY projects, car alarms and all other noise pollution, I aim to sleep about midday until dinner time before a shift and then sleep from about 10am until dinner time after the shift. It doesn't always work out the way I plan. I have a colleagues that cat nap between school runs and housework so everyone's different.

Kitty1184 Tue 06-Aug-19 12:37:28

Long time shift worker here - it definitely depends what's best for you and how much sleep you actually need!

If I'm on back to back nights I'll go home, have some breakfast and pootle for a couple of hours then try to get a solid 7 ish hours kip. If I'm nights onto a day off I'll go straight to bed for about 4 hours to try to make the most of the day.

I work with people who live off 3 hours sleep on nights - I definitely couldn't!

make sure to take lots of healthy snacks with you, nightshifts make you binge!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »