Talk

Advanced search

Asking for annual leave

(17 Posts)
jasper100 Fri 19-Jul-19 19:44:24

How much notice does your office need if you want to take annual leave?
In a previous job I needed to give one months notice for one week and one weeks notice if asking for a day off. Just interested what other firms do. Thanks

BackforGood Fri 19-Jul-19 20:56:48

I don't really need to give notice, as we arrange our own diaries. If you can work your diary around it, and you have AL left, then you can book it.

BrieAndChilli Fri 19-Jul-19 21:01:07

Current work - if it’s possible then not really any notice ie if at work and you decide you want to take a half day that day or a day off the next and it’s not going to affect much then you can generally take it.

Other jobs it’s generally been the same amount of notice as the time you want to take off eg 1 day notice for 1 day off, 1 week notice for a week off, and is also sometimes been dependant on others eg only 2 people from the team allowed off at the same time

Ylvamoon Fri 19-Jul-19 21:07:20

In my place it's 2 people per team but no more than 5 people from all teams (We have 3 teams with 6 people to a team). And no more than one team leader at any given time.

cazinge Fri 19-Jul-19 21:12:50

Officially, its twice the time you want to take e.g. 2 days for 1 day off.

However, for my team if I can accommodate it (not too many other people off) & no pressing deadlines, I let them have what they want even if it's that afternoon / the next day. I would need more notice for a longer absence though but wouldn't necessarily enforce the double notice.

Thirtyysomething Fri 19-Jul-19 21:13:13

We have like for like policy so if you want one day it has to be in one working day before so put in Monday for a Wednesday same with week, week before etc. I understand this is probably not the norm and obviously we are expected to check the diary to make sure enough people are in to cover otherwise it would be denied. It’s very relaxed and works well.

TroysMammy Fri 19-Jul-19 21:17:31

It's that rule where I work, brought in within the last 3 years. However a colleague who doesn't like change said it isn't as it never was before! I'm slowly losing the will to live in work these days.

iklboo Fri 19-Jul-19 21:19:00

We have the 'one week for one day, one month for one week' policy. Unless you're one of the line managers then they can do what the hell they like (while vetoing us on the policy'.

Wheelerdeeler Fri 19-Jul-19 21:20:20

Depends on manager. I just let my manager know if I'm taking leave. Told him yesterday I was finishing early today. Very relaxed

YeOldeTrout Fri 19-Jul-19 21:54:31

job1: Down to individual line manager; mine asks me to put things in my diary as early as possible so he can plan team resources. Leave is calculated & requested online.

job2: My line manger makes no effort to keep track. There is a procedure but no one audits it to make sure it's truly followed, so there are in reality no rules.procedure.

BuildBuildings Fri 19-Jul-19 22:01:17

We just work our own calendars around the leave we want to take. I only do 3 days a week so my calendar gets busy quickly and (like we all do) I've got quite a lot to do. So I'd struggle to get a week of before September now. But other times that wouldn't be the case. When I worked at a supermarket (high end, you know the one) while doing my MA I had to book my year of leave at once. So plan when I was going to be off for the whole year and no changes.

BernadetteRostankowskiWolowitz Fri 19-Jul-19 22:06:35

Team of 6, with 2 senior (one must always be in), 1 data person who can be off whenever and 3 admin (one must always be in).

As long as the above is adhered to, no notice needed at all. We all look at each other's calendars and then just ask/book.

I'm the only one with school age dc so never have a bother getting school holidays off. There's also a shut down over Xmas.

I could literally say at 11am "you ok if I take a half day holiday this afternoon?".

Bol87 Sun 28-Jul-19 11:17:00

No rules in our office. The day before for the odd day/couple days and as soon as possible for a week or more.. emergency days on the day is fine as well.

Team of 8 & generally I say no more than 2 off at once but depends on the circumstances..

I take a very relaxed approach, it’s my teams annual leave to use as they wish. So long as I have enough staff in to get the work done & they are on top of their own work then I’m not bothered about when ask..

SnuggyBuggy Sun 28-Jul-19 11:22:20

Managers used to make it up as they went along in my experience but on a team level we tended to be fairly sensible about not having too many people off at once.

Mummyme87 Sun 28-Jul-19 11:25:05

NHS.. so about 3year notice 🙄

Alarae Sun 28-Jul-19 11:28:36

I've booked annual leave in the morning for that day, but I am not the norm.

I work in advisory so as long as I have nothing urgent on, I can take leave whenever I like.

BrokenWing Sun 28-Jul-19 13:51:13

No notice required, it is either ok to be off or not depending on other team members holidays or any urgent workload.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »