Talk

Advanced search

Redundancy’s at work help (pregnant)

(3 Posts)
Pinkflower23 Tue 16-Jul-19 07:57:30

Hi,

I’m currently 18weeks pregnant with my first. Still haven’t told work. I have a scan tomorrow and I planned to tell my manager on Wednesday providing everything went well at the appointment.

So today 9am I get to work and everyone gets called in for a meeting. There is a total of 7 of us and they want to make 1 person redundant. We have individual consultations on Wednesday! The day I planned to tell my manager.
Honestly I don’t think it will be me just because of certain important duties I do. But if I say something now I feel like they are going to think I’m only telling them now because of the redundancy’s. If I don’t tell them someone will get made redundant and then I’ll announce my pregnancy and leave in 4/5 months. Meaning they will in effect be down by two people and I could have saved someone’s job. If I do this will I have a job to come back to after maternity.

Please help I don’t know what to do.
Thanks xxxxx

theunrivalledjoysofparenting Tue 16-Jul-19 08:00:04

I'd tell them. No idea what the legal position is, but morally of course you should tell them.

How long have you worked there? What does your contract say about when you have to inform your employer you are pg?

elf1985 Tue 16-Jul-19 08:04:57

I told my employers on the day they announced redundencies. Totally by accident. I took voluntary redundancy and was paid my package plus my maternity pay in full on the day I left. Tell them asap. But make sure you know what your desired outcome is and tell them that. Good luck and congrats x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »