Talk

Advanced search

TA career - need advice

(7 Posts)
Ukmum1 Mon 15-Jul-19 11:41:45

Hi all

I have been doing pa/admin work for 18 year and now I am thinking of changing my career to be TA. There are a few apprenticeship opportunities coming up but im not sure whether to go for them or not. On a career break I helped out at my dd school and enjoyed it.

Back in uk now and my dd TA takes the class a few afternoons a week, is tgis tge norm?. I am looking to hear from current TA's in reception or ks1 to give me their pros and cons of being a TA.

Tia

SavoyCabbage Mon 15-Jul-19 11:45:24

I’d find out if there was a demand first in your area. Where I am, TAs are losing their jobs as school budgets are slashed. A few years ago, it was likely that there would be a TA in EYFS and KS1 classes. Now it’s often just mornings.

missyB1 Mon 15-Jul-19 11:48:28

So I’ve just trained as a TA at an independent school, I can work in Early Years or key stage 1. I did it as an apprenticeship organised by the school in conjunction with local college of further education. Obviously the pay isn’t great, but I’m very happy there. I had to work a minimum of 32 hours a week (studying at home every night and weekend), to complete the course but I’ve done it in 12 months and just waiting for my certificate now.

Russell19 Mon 15-Jul-19 11:57:08

Our school is also cutting TAs....not many schools taking on.

Rockbird Mon 15-Jul-19 12:23:18

Depends on your area. There doesn't seem to be a shortage of jobs around me. Some of them are mornings but plenty full time as well.

jmh740 Mon 15-Jul-19 12:27:46

Where I am most ta jobs are 15hours a week in the morning to support maths and English, 1:1 ta jobs are 20-25 hrs a week but only temporary contracts. Look and see if there many ta jobs advertised, tbh my co tract runs out in July next year and I'm already worrying about having to look for another job.

Ukmum1 Mon 15-Jul-19 18:34:41

Thanks all. Lots of ft and pt ta roles advertised in my area. There has also been a lot of apprenticeship roles advertised too. Ive bn asked at current work (administrative role) to take on a role that I know I would enjoy but its not long term so struggling to decide what to do.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »