Talk

Advanced search

Would I be mad to take on this project?

(2 Posts)
Popcorninapot Sun 14-Jul-19 07:52:32

I'm self employed and do project work, usually 6 to 9 months working at a client site. I've been offered a project which would be great experience and great on my cv. I've had all my work by word of mouth so far, and every client that I get before I have to go out and market myself is really useful.

But it's a good hour and a half commute (by car) from where I live, on a notoriously bad route so could take longer. I would have to do it probably twice a week.

My dh has a busy job with long unpredictable hours and travel. One of the reasons for me going self employed was to balance family life so I will need to do pick up and drop off of my school age kids (so the commute will need to be within a 9 to 5 day, shortening the amount of time I need to do the work). So far this balance has worked well and also meant I am much happier than when we both worked long hours and means I've had more time for hobbies etc.

Has anyone done a commute like this? How tiring is if? I'm worried both that there is a risk on a bad traffic day of not getting back for the kids, but also how knackering that sort of commute is on a daily basis?

Hugsandpastries Sun 14-Jul-19 20:52:11

I did a 1.5 hour commute five days a week for several years. It was ok, tiring but doable. However it was by tube/bus which for me is less tiring than driving as you can switch off and entertain yourself. Also I was young and didn’t have kids at the time. How are you with driving, do you mind doing it?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »