Talk

Advanced search

Primary School teacher requesting part time hours

(20 Posts)
JB186 Fri 12-Jul-19 19:06:37

Hi I'm applying to return to work on a part time basis and I'm having to write a response to this question, see below. I'm really struggling so any help would be appreciated.

Question is
Explain what, if any I think the proposed change would have on the organisation and how in my opinion this might be dealt with. This includes the effect on colleagues, customers and service provision."

Unihorn Fri 12-Jul-19 19:08:59

Well what kind of effect do you think a job share would have on children? Continuity of care, differences in teaching style/discipline, communication between you and your counterpart etc.

ThePurpleHeffalump Fri 12-Jul-19 19:09:33

Think about the positives as well as the challenges, and talk about how you and your job share will ensure seamless communication.

LolaSmiles Fri 12-Jul-19 19:11:24

One of the unions, I can't remember which it might be NUT as was, did a booklet with examples of letters.

The main thing is to talk about seamless communication with your job share partner. Also if you have any TLR roles, how will thry be managed?

Purpleartichoke Fri 12-Jul-19 19:16:05

I’m in the us and we have several
Primary teachers working part time at dd’s School. They team teach a class with another teacher. There is one set of classroom rules and they lesson plan together. To make it work, they both have to do some extra (technically unpaid) work to coordinate.

JB186 Fri 12-Jul-19 21:51:16

Thankyou, yes I've looked on the union websites I thought their examples were a little rude if I'm honest. They talk about how a refusal could be seen as sexual discrimination. Will include the seamless communication x

JB186 Fri 12-Jul-19 21:54:25

I dont think a job share would have negative effects on the children provided its done properly but the aspect I'm struggling with is how would a job share be positive more so than a full time teacher. As feel that's what they are asking me. Not sure if I'm making sense. Also not sure if to include I plan to have more children and me only being partime would be more beneficial when I go on maternity for the second time.

HoneyWheeler Fri 12-Jul-19 22:07:59

The proposed change would mean that the school would retain an experienced member of staff who was committed to role. That line got me part time hours in a couple of jobs!

ThePurpleHeffalump Fri 12-Jul-19 22:28:26

Two fresh teachers, rather than one knackered one, children have double the chance of bonding with an adult they really like, breadth of skills.
When I jobshared in Y5, we had complementary skills and made a point of playing to our strengths.

JB186 Sat 13-Jul-19 08:47:05

Yes will definitely add that, thankyou!

JB186 Sat 13-Jul-19 08:48:00

Super thankyou, will add that too.

JB186 Sat 13-Jul-19 08:50:49

Thanks everyone appreciate the help, cant believe the request has to be so in depth! Really hope they dont refuse me.

I plan to have a second child in the near future do you think I should mention that? Having a second teacher would give continuty and would save them money as woukdnt be paying me as much for my second mat leave.

Rainbowcolours1 Sat 13-Jul-19 08:55:22

Don't mention a second child, there's no need to and they can't/shouldn't take that as a factor. Show you are aware of the cost, a job share is often more expensive.

SavoyCabbage Sat 13-Jul-19 09:01:12

I’ve done some supply in a tiny school, only two classes where both classes were jobshare.

They managed it by one of them teaching all of the maths and the other all of the literacy etc. So, one of the days I was there was science all day.

Another thing I’ve seen is where the days are swapped each week so one teacher is teaching all of their days over two weeks consecutively.

Week one
W
Th
F
Week two
M
T
And so on

JB186 Sat 13-Jul-19 10:28:15

Oh that's clever I like that!

JB186 Sat 13-Jul-19 10:30:08

Ok yes I see your point I'll not mention that. I think them my only remaining problem to try and combat is the fact that a job share will cost more money.

DorisDay88 Sat 13-Jul-19 11:13:30

I'm a school governor and we recently agreed to a pt working request from a ft teacher
The head was positive about it in that he thought the children would benefit from having the different strengths from two teachers rather than the strengths and potential weaker side of one teacher

JB186 Sat 13-Jul-19 18:54:00

Super thankyou, how would you recommend I proceed around the idea of 2 part time teachers costing more budget?

Cyberworrier Sat 13-Jul-19 19:04:03

I’ve worked at a school as the ‘filler’ Supply teacher, making up the days of a teacher back from maternity. They had planned on her doing PPA across the school on her 3 days but someone suddenly left. It wasn’t ideal for her as she had the majority of responsibility for the class but only 2.5 days teaching and a half day PPA. At another school I did days covering for SLT. How would you feel about ending up doing PPA? I originally did the same form as you I think- I tried to be honest and think realistically about how it could work.

JB186 Mon 15-Jul-19 21:45:04

We have someone who teaches languages in our school already who covers everyone's PPA. Good idea though x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »