Talk

Advanced search

Single parent universal credits- help!!!

(7 Posts)
HollyJade89 Thu 11-Jul-19 13:07:46

Hello! My youngest child is about to turn 5 and I have to move over to universal credits.
I’m working 12 hours at the moment but have heard that you have to work 25 hours as a single parent on universal credits? I’m so worried as I don’t see how I’m going to be able to work that many hours at the moment. I don’t have much family around for support and the after school club at my children’s school is currently full!
Does anyone know how hard they come down on you if you aren’t working 25 hours? Will I be expected to go to the job centre every week?! 😩 I'm so upset and stressed about all of this! Xx

Bw3344 Thu 11-Jul-19 18:05:12

I get a personal allowance for me around 320, a payment for my little one of around 240 and then 85% of my childcare when I'm working, and I'm only contracted 6 hours a week. Mostly I do more but never 25. I also recieved money off my prescription, its similiar to the amount I would receive if it was still a low income support payment and tax credits for little one plus childcare costs. I would also be entitled to housing allowance should I need it. You should be fine, I've never heard of the 25 hours? Xx

HollyJade89 Thu 11-Jul-19 21:47:58

Hey thanks for the reply.
How old is your little one? Well that's good to know! So do they make you look for work or go to the job centre at all? Xx

BernadetteRostankowskiWolowitz Thu 11-Jul-19 21:49:33

I'm not sure about the 25hpw but could you preliminarily look around for childmind3rs who pick up from his school? That may ease your mind if you do have to up your hours at work.

Bw3344 Thu 11-Jul-19 22:10:10

No probs smile. Hes 11 months old and goes to a childminder. Nope they dont ask me to go in, they're perfectly happy with the hours I work. If I work over and my money goes over a certain amount they get from HMRC and take money off my allowance accordingly. Xxx

HollyJade89 Thu 11-Jul-19 23:19:03

I've looked in to childminders but there's hardly any around here. I live in a small village so there's not many about which is annoying xx

HollyJade89 Thu 11-Jul-19 23:20:44

I think it might be because your little one is younger? Mine are 5 and 8 which is where I think the 25 hours might come in once your youngest is 5 and at school xx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »