Talk

Advanced search

Sharing an office / desk with inconsiderate dirty colleague

(5 Posts)
Daddylonglegs1965 Wed 10-Jul-19 10:24:45

I work part time and I have been with my employer in a pastoral role for a goodly few years. For the last few months a new ish employee/colleague who does a different job to me within another department/team uses the/my office and the/my desk/space. On the days I am not in.
For context I am not massively tidy but when I finish for the week I put my things away (relating to my role) and make sure the desk is relatively clear and clean/tidy (as I would like to find it). This colleague leaves umpteen coffee rings, dirty marks on the desk and often odd things relating to his role (he has a shelf space and draws) so he does have storage space etc. I ordered some wipes from stationary a few months ago as a subtle hint (I let him know I was ordering these to clean the phone and keyboard etc and I leave them out in a prominent place) but every week I have to clean the desk, keyboard and phone before I can even begin to tackle any work.
Would I be unreasonable to type up a note saying please clean the desk after use or how else can I get round this? On the odd times I have seen him he has a beard which doesn’t look particularly clean and his personal hygiene could do with improving so I come into work feeling fresh and clean and feel filthy in the first 10 minutes. Advice please?

Chocmallows Wed 10-Jul-19 10:26:48

What does your manager think about this?

Daddylonglegs1965 Wed 10-Jul-19 12:10:36

My manager isn’t on the same site and we both have different managers. He is extremely laid back and it suits his job role. It’s not like it’s really really bad more a bit dirty and a bit annoying. What do you think about a small sign on the PC and how shall I word it? If neither of us are in which is rare sometimes other staff would use the office as a hot desk so a note wouldn’t just be for his eyes.

Chocmallows Wed 10-Jul-19 22:29:21

A note saying "feel free to use wipes" on the desk would be a start. If still messy, up to "please use wipes for spills across desk".
Is there another desk he can use?

Daddylonglegs1965 Tue 16-Jul-19 09:05:25

Thanks I left a note on the PC when I finished last week saying something like please wipe the desk after use. Thanks

I will see what it’s like tomorrow.
No no other desk or office space he can use unfortunately.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »