Talk

Advanced search

Head of department making return to work intolerable

(2 Posts)
Cerealtoaste Tue 09-Jul-19 11:16:30

Returned to work after mat leave 6 months ago. I used to love my job. I am a secondary school teacher.

My Head of Department however is making life intolerable since returning. She changed towards me when I was pregnant and I have since discovered that she is unable to have children.

My confidence in my work is already low following mat leave and she is nitpicking at everything I do. She has never said or done anything personally, but I am pretty sure her issues are personal ones which arevmanifesting in professional criticisms.

I am currently going through a separation from my husband (she does not know this) and I have visited my doctor due to extreme stress and she wants to sign me off work as she believes the way my manager is treating me is a huge contributing factor to how I'm feeling.

On paper, it looks like she is doing her job. But in reality, verbally, she is being highly critical, taking away a lot of my power by saying...
"Did you ask me about that .."
"Have you checked that with me...?"
I feel stifled and completely under-valued.

I am considering approaching the Headteacher, but I've no doubt it will look petty. Also, for me to say I think all this is actually stemming from the fact that I've had a baby will be considered quite far-fetched.

What to do?

Thesuzle Tue 09-Jul-19 17:45:03

Hello
Don’t work in education but, you need to mark your territory with the head and get it in writing before it goes much further..
In a face to face meeting, just spell out that you are concerned for her (haha) but her manner is causing you some stress.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »