Talk

Advanced search

Tax return, out of my depth and panicking

(10 Posts)
Jessy111 Sun 30-Jun-19 11:43:17

Hi all

I took on a little cleaning job in July 2017 through an agency, it was based within a construction firm and I was told I needed to register as self employed which I did. The position was temporary and I left in December of 2017 and terminated my self employed status.

CIS tax was regularly deducted from my wages before the agency paid me so I didn't have to deal with paying my own tax

But now HMRC want me to file a tax return from that period and I feel out of my depth having had zero experience with being self employed prior and never owned a business.

I have some CIS certificates from that period, sent to me by the agency, which show how much I earned on which month and how much tax they deducted, but I haven't a clue how to file a tax return or what I need to do.

I can't log in to the HMRC gateway account I made at the time and the return is now overdue.

I'm in poor health, medicated for mental health problems and rely on benefits temporarily to support my two young DC.

I'm stressed beyond belief about this please help me

weekfour Sun 30-Jun-19 16:51:55

Firstly, don't get worked up.

Secondly, poor health is no excuse in HMRC's eyes. So just get it done.

Start by re registering on the Government Gateway. Do that ASAP because they will want to send you an activation code through the post.

merlotqueen Wed 03-Jul-19 23:43:42

Don't panic, call them for help, they are friendly human beings and will want to help you, honestly! Do not ignore, that won't help.

fifipop185 Thu 04-Jul-19 07:09:16

As PP have said, don't panic and also don't delay any further. Register your account today and do phone them to ask for help. Imagine the relief once you've completed the return? Focus on that.

Judashascomeintosomemoney Thu 04-Jul-19 07:17:38

The HMRC system itself is awful and monolithic. But the actual individual human beings who work there are incredibly patient and helpful and generally just really pleasant (I’ve had to deal with them many times). So, take a deep breath, and call them. I’m sure it will help relieve your stress levels over this.

toldmywrath Thu 04-Jul-19 07:22:12

I echo what the others have said.. don't panic.
First, ask to be re registered on the government Gateway.
Phone HMRC..they are ordinary people and really helpful.
You might find you're entitled to a tax refund once you've completed a tax return. You can do this online and save as you go. I'm self employed and it's relatively straightforward in cases like yours.
Ask on local social media sites if there's any friendly book keepers/accountants who wouldn't mind giving free advice (once you're all set up on the Gateway and ready to go you might realise that you can complete the form on your own or with HMRC phone call)
smile
Please don't worry, it's really no problem and you'll feel much relief once it's done.

Cazziebo Thu 04-Jul-19 07:31:28

The HMRC system itself is awful and monolithic. But the actual individual human beings who work there are incredibly patient and helpful and generally just really pleasant

This is a perfect description IME. I've found HMRC staff really try to help you out. (Getting through can be difficult but worth it)

Noeuf Thu 04-Jul-19 07:38:30

Ok first off, you are looking at all taxable income for the period 6 April 2017 to 5 April 2018. So make a list - all income etc.
Also any tax paid, so look at the CIS documents. If some are missing and it's the same amount each month you can assume based on that. There's a box to tick in the form to say you've done that.
There should be a forgotten password section - it might be tricky to reregister if you already have an account with your details.

DonkeyHohtay Thu 04-Jul-19 07:40:10

Agree with everything above. I'm self employed and any time I've spoken to them they've been really helpful. Give them a call and ask for help.

Dec2019mumtobe Thu 04-Jul-19 07:40:43

The HMRC system itself is awful and monolithic. But the actual individual human beings who work there are incredibly patient and helpful and generally just really pleasant

^ this

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »