Talk

Advanced search

£250-300 for tax return - is this about right?

(6 Posts)
AnalyseThis Sun 19-May-19 11:52:43

I've just been quoted £250-300 by an accountant to do my 18/19 tax return. It involves PAYE, some rental income and a very small amount of freelance income.

Does this look roughly right? I did a search online and found everything from £100-1000 for comparable cases.

In previous years I've (slowly and painfully) done my own tax return but it's always a struggle and this year feels more complicated than previous years. I don't feel confident reflecting the overall changes on taxation of landlord income, understanding if/how the months I wasn't working affect the overall calculation, figuring out which bits of major maintenance and repair work were allowable expenses, totalling up any tax from small amount of freelancing etc..). I would definitely rather just hand over my receipts to a professional and let them calculate this.

OP’s posts: |
Numbersaremything Mon 20-May-19 08:55:28

It sounds reasonable. You've said yourself that you find it a struggle, so it's worth the money if it saves you stress. I charge anything from £60 for putting 2 total figures into a return through to 10 times that for a more complex situation.

Kazzyhoward Tue 21-May-19 09:09:39

As long as they're a qualified/regulated firm, then yes, that's perfectly average and reasonable.

It's a little on the expensive side though for someone who isn't a fully qualified/regulated accountant.

AnalyseThis Tue 21-May-19 10:35:12

Yes, it's a qualified accountant.

Thanks for your help!

OP’s posts: |
myhamster Wed 22-May-19 18:22:56

As a one man band, I would charge between £100-£150 for a return like that, depending on how long it took to work the figures out. A large firm would however charge £250-£300, so it sounds about right.

I would expect a prompt service for that though.

BritInUS1 Sun 02-Jun-19 15:19:04

I charge £250 + VAT for a return like this, so yes its reasonable

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in