Advanced search

Tutoring - Register as self employed?

(5 Posts)
Riya011 Wed 06-Feb-19 14:30:22

I am about to start part-time tutoring. Do I register as self employed?

I also have a part time salaried job. If I register as self employed, do I just have to declare this income along with my salary when I do my self assessment? Or do I have to register my tutoring business separately with HMRC and do a separate self assessment?

Please can someone help me understand this ? If the admin work is going to be too much and complicated, I wont take this up. With the amount i expect to make, it wont make sense hiring an accountant.

OP’s posts: |
catndogslife Wed 06-Feb-19 17:47:46

1. Yes you need to tell HMRC that you are self-employed.
2. You declare both your self-employed income (minus expenses) on the same form as your other income.
It's quite straightforward on the admin side. Just have a spreadsheet with details of lessons taught, name of student and payments received.
Also a separate record of expenses e.g. teaching resources.

Whatsallthisaboutthen Wed 06-Feb-19 18:05:01

Yes, and it’s very easy, don’t worry.

MaybeDoctor Thu 07-Feb-19 11:14:32

Yes, the tax return has a box for 'What did you earn from PAYE?' - you type in what you earned from your P60. Then there is another page where you put down what you earned from self employment.

Do you have insurance? Hiscox is a good place to start.

INeedNewShoes Thu 07-Feb-19 11:18:30

Yes. I had a full time employed job but still needed to register with HMRC for my freelance work.

It's relatively straightforward. People had given me the impression that tax returns are terribly difficult to manage but it's just not true (especially for a business like tutoring where you'll have few outgoings to record).

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in