If you work in a Care Home

(6 Posts)
RadioGagga Sun 09-Dec-18 08:58:20

Can you tell me why you love your job please?

OP’s posts: |
RadioGagga Sun 09-Dec-18 16:21:53

Interested in caring but under no illusions it's difficult and underpaid

RadioGagga Sun 09-Dec-18 20:15:10

Moominfan Sun 09-Dec-18 20:20:28

I worked in a dementia ward and it wasn't for me. I couldn't see any quality of life. Just feed and clean until they die. However I now work in a day centre for complex health needs and love it. My day is about creating person centred enriching experiences for amazing people. I love my job but hate the pay and having to be a martyr about it. I previously worked in outreach community when I first started in care, this is easy to get into as people are pretty high functioning and just need a bit of assistance to live independently. The hours were small and infrequent so I had to work a lot to reach full time hours. Whereas the day centre is similar to school hours so it's ideal. Have you thought about who you want to work with? Children's services tend to be higher paid but can be really challenging. I found it very difficult, I'd become to attached and when they move on to care leavers services you can't keep in touch and a lot of the kids struggle to adjust.

RadioGagga Mon 10-Dec-18 08:01:34

@moominfan thanks for your reply. Day care centre also sounds very appealing to me because it would fit in quite well with school hours. I'd like to work with adults/elderly although currently I am volunteering with children.

Moominfan Mon 10-Dec-18 08:32:39

You could give agency work a try? You'll get sent to all sorts of places then you'll have abit of experience to decide what you want to go into. We often use agency and when they're good their always asked to apply with us

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in