Talk

Advanced search

Is DS2 red to looking for local apprenticeships?

(7 Posts)
Bestseller Mon 15-Oct-18 10:56:02

He wants to do engineering and there seem to be some excellent apprenticeships offered by the big companies, but not within commuting distance from home.

He's looking for something for when GCSEs finish, so he'll be 16. For the companies looking to take on a lot of apprentices, is it usual for them to help with accommodation?

FedoraHat Mon 15-Oct-18 18:55:13

I work for a social housing provider, and we have been asked by a local very large employer to look into providing dedicated housing for their apprentices. At the moment they stay in shared houses a bit like students do.

I suppose the only thing to do is ask?

Bestseller Mon 15-Oct-18 19:33:42

That's interesting Fedora, thank you.

I'm sure the big companies looking for dozens of apprentices every year can't expect to recruit them all from the local comp but none of them mention accommodation as one of the things they offer apprentices.

flamingnoravera Sun 21-Oct-18 21:16:30

Companies do not tend to think of accommodation issues. In the same way that they would not expect to provide accommodation for their employees they don't do it for apprentices. It's the same as getting a job, you wouldn't expect your employer to provide accommodation, it's down to the applicant to decide if they can manage to get there each day.
The reason schools push university is because vacancies for apprenticeships are unpredictable and tend not come with any additional benefits like accommodation. You may have to consider paying for accommodation four your DC if it's a good opportunity.

Tiggles Sat 01-Dec-18 00:09:33

Some of the big apprenticeship are paying over £1000 a month, I think they expect you to be able to find a room with that.

Serin Fri 01-Feb-19 20:41:26

Some near us provide "landlady" accommodation when the students are away at college. It is all paid for including food.
The rest of the time they live at home or with friends near to the workplace.

onaroll Mon 04-Feb-19 20:14:30

Hiya,
My friends started his apprenticeship at age 16 after GCSEs .
An amazing package that paid his travel, living accommodation and training.
With National Grid .
Been on it for 18mths almost - doing very well.

careers.nationalgrid.com/new-talent/apprentices

I’m sure there are others like it ‘out there too’

Good luck to your Son.

My son also doing apprenticeship.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »