Advanced search

Am I being too optimistic?

(4 Posts)
Newtothis18 Tue 28-Aug-18 01:19:57

Currently on maternity with a 6 month old, am due back to work next Feb which of course I am NOT looking forward to. I will be reducing my hours to part time (working as an admin) I was going to leave my job before I found out I was pregnant as it just isn’t what I want to be doing. I really enjoy the beauty side and would love to get into it. I am looking at courses at the moment to start off learning how to do the lash lifts and tints and maybe start doing a few clients from home. If I was to do this would I have to pay anything towards council/insurance/mortgage for running a business from home? I just don’t really know how to go about this. Also eventually I would like to continue doing some more courses to then be able to wider my treatment range and work from my summer house if i convert into a salon but I haven’t got the first clue on how to start this has anyone done something similar ??

OP’s posts: |
LifeCoachRuth Tue 28-Aug-18 17:56:55

No, I don't think you're being too optimistic at all. There are lots of people doing this already so we know it's possible, the rest is down to you smile
Some things to bear in mind, some you've probably already thought of:
You'll need professional indemnity insurance to cover any treatments you offer. You'll also need to register as self-employed with HMRC when you set up your business. Their website has lots of advice about setting up a business and also working from your home. You can claim allowable expenses at an HMRC flat rate if you work from home (covering utilities etc), and can also claim a business proportion of internet and phone bill. This isn't my area of expertise at all, I just know this from doing my own accounts, but check out HMRC website when you're ready to get going.
Enjoy your new adventure - how exciting!

delilahbucket Sun 02-Sep-18 21:28:49

You will have to inform your home insurance company that you will be having business visitors to your home, your mortgage provider will also need to be told, and the council as you may be liable for business rates.
You also need to consider much work you can realistically do with a child at home. You won't be able to break off from a client.

delilahbucket Mon 03-Sep-18 11:58:02

You will also need public liability insurance.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in