Talk

Advanced search

Freelance job payment confusion

(6 Posts)
LambethWalk Mon 13-Aug-18 02:03:15

I was made redundant a year ago and have done temp work via agencies since then. Anything I could get. Recently I was offered freelance work at home for six weeks which I took as it was more like the work I used to do. I used to freelance many years ago so thought I would be OK with it.

Initially I was told they pay an hourly rate but it was only after I started that I realised that they pay per job. So if you spend 30 minutes on a job that is what you get paid for. So it adds up to a lot less than 8 hours. Technically it is still an hourly rate but they aren't paying me for any time in between jobs and they want me to sit there and respond immediately if they send me something.

I didn't even know that this type of system existed - I assumed I would be paid for the day. But I have had some days where I have only done three hours. I know I should have clarified it before I started but I didn't realise this was how it worked. And they asked me for my hourly rate so that is what I thought it was. I am getting concerned that my hours will not add up to much and I will not earn enough. I know I am not tied to them but am not sure what to do. Any advice?

OP’s posts: |
AjasLipstick Mon 13-Aug-18 05:59:57

I am a freelancer. The thing with freelancing is that YOU decide what you get paid. Not them. You cost the job, then you get their agreement...then you invoice accordingly.

If they'd said that they preferred to pay you by the hour, then that's where things get tricky because as you've found, some jobs are short. They won't pay you anything between jobs because you're not doing anything fro them.

Why would you be paid for the day if an individual task takes you thirty minutes?

What your issues is really, is that there's not enough work to sustain you. You could ask them if there will be more as 3 hours isn't enough for your needs. Otherwise, you should probably go back to temping.

LambethWalk Mon 13-Aug-18 23:35:01

Thank you for your reply.

I have freelanced before where I have gone into offices and was paid a day rate for working a full day. So I did whatever work was available to do. This company want work done asap - I can't say I'll do it by 3pm or something. So I have to be available even though my waiting time is unpaid. But I will have to say something as the hours are too low. Which won't go down well I feel.

LambethWalk Mon 13-Aug-18 23:40:32

Thank you for your reply.

I have freelanced before where I have gone into offices and was paid a day rate for working a full day. I was available all day to do whatever work was needed. This company want work done asap - I can't say I'll do it by 3pm or something. So I still have to be available all day but am not paid for that. I will have to say something as the hours are too low. Which won't go down well I feel.

AjasLipstick Tue 14-Aug-18 00:07:10

Are they drip-feeding the work through during the day as it becomes available? It's not tenable for you is it? Doesn't matter what they think....you have to make a living!

Monday55 Tue 14-Aug-18 03:07:08

Find a second contract to make up the hours.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in