Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be totally fed up with this job?

(7 Posts)
loveka Thu 05-Jul-18 18:03:13

I genuinely don't know if my issues are reasonable or not.

I am freelance and work for clients through a third party, who win the work then employ freelancers to deliver it.

They charge us out at 5 times what we get paid. This has always been a bone of contention for me. Officially we are not meant to know this, and we are told never to discuss our fees with clients.

This job I have been doing for the last 2 years invokves a 10 hour round trip that I am not paid for. They don't pay travel time unless it takes you a whole day to get somewhere. Even then it is only £150.

Recently they have put their fees to clients up, and their fees to us. For this job I am doing the wont pass the raise on to me. They say that it is because my client has started limiting travel expenses, but they still have to reimburse me for my expenses.

I am just sick of it. I get a very good daily rate, but colleagues working for cloents in London are now being paid 15% more than me without the gruelling travel I have to do.

I am told that because my client provides regular work for me (at least one day a week, sometimes 2 or 3) then this evens this out. I should stop moaning, basically!

I am just sick and tired of hanging around airports for hours on end. I am sitting at one now, yet another delayed flight.

I'm sick ok knowing people are being paid more than me and not having to travel like I do.

Sick of hotels, sick of submitting expense claims as long as my arm...

I want to stop doing it. But I have a feeling they wont replace it with something else.

The client really values me, but I don't feel valued by the company who actually pay me, whose attitude really is 'take it or leave it'.

What so you reckon?

OP’s posts: |
ItscominghomeItscominghome Fri 06-Jul-18 15:41:31

Would the client take you on as an employee?

Theworldisfullofgs Fri 06-Jul-18 15:55:33

Do you work for anyone else? If not you are v
basically an employee of the company and should get additional benefits that make up from the loss of earnings

loveka Fri 06-Jul-18 16:19:18

No, client wouldn't take me on. It isn't a 'job' it is a service.

Yes, work for other people. Hardly at all these days though! 2 days this month for example.

To earn what other people earn doing the same job as me, for 2 days, I additionally give up 3 evenings/2 nights and I get paid 15% less!

Theworldisfullofgs Tue 10-Jul-18 22:52:40

Can we ask what you do?

loveka Fri 31-Aug-18 11:57:33

Sorry, can't say what I do, it is so unusual it would totally 'out' me.

I have started to think that I may have a case to be treated as an employee. More than 90% of my work has been for them in the last 3 years. I have worked for them most weeks for 20 years.

momofpickle Mon 10-Sep-18 18:26:54

I don't think you ABU at all! It's a real shame they won't treat you better since you've been working for them for 20 years. I would definitely get a different job.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in