selling licenced/disney themed products

(6 Posts)
jjem24 Sat 21-Apr-18 16:06:46

Hi
i have trawled the internet to find the answer to my question, but im abit confused as to what i can and cant do regarding selling items that involve famous charaters...i.e disney princesses, monster inc/ moana charaters and the likes. i have a start up idea, but from what im understanding i cant use fabric which is printed with disney type characters due to licencing rules. so for example i cant buy disney princess ribbon and create bows which i would then sell? but i can buy items already manufactured and resell?
My main item of interest, are items called jibbitz (these are rubber shoe charms, which fit into the holes on crocs) the charms come in every character imaginable! i can see people all over the internet selling them, i know the brand jibbitz is owned by crocs, but theres items being sold named just as shoe charms.
Anyway really my question is can i just buy these items and resell without any come back from people trying to shut me down?
Any help with things mentioned above would be great. thank you in advance for your help

OP’s posts: |
delilahbucket Sun 22-Apr-18 19:33:40

You cannot do it without permission. Disney are well known for taking legal action against small businesses. You can buy and resell items that have already been made by someone who holds a licensing agreement, but you can also be prosecuted for selling fakes, not just by the licence holder, but also by trading standards.

MissMarplesKnitting Sun 22-Apr-18 19:35:30

You cannot sell them. The fabrics are sold as for personal use only.

You need s Turnover of I think £1m to apply for a Disney license. May be more.

Do not risk it by defying the law. Their lawyers trawl FB pages and groups....and they do sue.

scrappydappydoo Sun 22-Apr-18 19:40:14

I don't know but people over on the dibb might help as some of them have small businesses and they're all about Disney.

Knittedfairies Sun 22-Apr-18 19:48:36

Don’t do it! Disney are particularly hot on copyright infringement; someone on a craft forum made a card using a photograph she’d taken herself at Disneyland Paris - Disney found it and she had to remove it from the forum.

jjem24 Sun 22-Apr-18 20:14:33

gosh its sounds like they really are hot on finding people! thanks for the feedback everyone! ill definately take alook over at the dibb as suggested. its strange how so many people are selling the item im interested in and getting away with it, thats why its confusing me. thanks again everyone

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in