Talk

Advanced search

Software required for transcribing at home

(3 Posts)
Frinister Fri 02-Mar-18 09:56:08

Hi. I know there are already lots of threads on this subject but I can't find a recent one regarding what software is required to start transcribing audio files from home (please feel free to point me in the right direction though!). I have an internet connection, Windows 7 OS and MS Office (albeit the 2003 version, but can get a newer one if necessary). It seems from the companies I have investigated (Dict8, Accuro, Sterling) that they download some kind of software of their own? However, I would like to work for more than one company so as to ensure plenty of work and wonder if I would have to have several programmes running on my computer, taking up a lot of space, or whether there is generic dictation/transcription software that can be purchased so as to make one programme compatible with several software programmes at the other end. I am not in anyway a techi so forgive me if I have missed the obvious. I would be grateful for any help or advice.

OP’s posts: |
Ifailed Fri 02-Mar-18 10:02:30

I'm not sure about particulars, but would expect they send you the audio files in one of the standard formats , then you can play them back using whatever program you like?

kooshbin Fri 02-Mar-18 11:16:23

I use Express Scribe. But I'm not a freelancer, so I haven't explored all the options. I've used it for .wav and .mp3 files, and type in MSWord.

There is a free version, which you could try out:

www.nch.com.au/scribe/index.html

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in