Dilemma - should I take on this job or not???

(7 Posts)
Dustysparrow Mon 26-Feb-18 16:18:51

I'm an illustrator, currently working on a children's picture book for a publisher in the US which I am loving, but nothing else in the pipeline - until today. Had an email about a potential commission for a series of educational books, but the nature of the work leaves me really cold, I've done work on these sort of books before and they are like 'paint by numbers' and I know I would be miserable doing them. But it's work. The issue is that there are so many books in the series that I would be committed to doing them for about 2.5-3 years, and unable to pursue any of the work I had planned to go for. I had planned to look into seeing if I could get an agent and make more in-roads into children's fiction. There is no way I would be able to do this - for several years - if I take on this commission.

I don't know what to do. My heart is telling me 'No'. But because I don't have anything else lined up I feel like that would be irresponsible because we are financially not exactly flush right now ....you never know what will come along in my line of work, commissions are like buses - something amazing may come along and I would have committed myself to this project for the next 3 years of my life.

I feel really stuck as to a decision and I have to respond to the enquiry very soon. Help wise MNetters!!!

OP’s posts: |
greathat Mon 26-Feb-18 16:41:48

No idea. How much do you need the money. How much does it pay compared to other stuff. Do you need the work

TellsEveryoneRealFacts Mon 26-Feb-18 16:43:24

What they said ^

TellsEveryoneRealFacts Mon 26-Feb-18 16:43:43

Don't forget most people do jobs for 2-3 years at a time...

AntiqueOlive Mon 26-Feb-18 16:44:13

Dont take it.

Something else will come in.

I work freelance. Something else always comes in.

Greyskiesover Mon 26-Feb-18 16:48:48

As a freelancer for nearly 20 years, I have learned to say no to this kind of offer that you take because you haven't anything else but know you will hate. As Antique has just said, something else will come along (often the day after you have said yes to the thing you don't actually want to do). There are lots of downsides to freelancing, but one of the upsides is being able to choose what you do / what you want to concentrate on.

Dustysparrow Mon 26-Feb-18 17:28:16

Thanks for your replies. I've made my decision, and essentially it is what AntiqueOlive and Greyskiesover said: something else will come along, it always does. I would be happy to do work for this company, just not something which I will take over 3 years of my life and leave me unable to do anything else, a smaller project would have been fine. One of the things I love about freelancing is the variety of the work. Of course people do indeed take jobs that last for 2-3 years, and maybe one day I will, but I don't think this is the right fit for me.

Thanks for all your advice.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in