Talk

Advanced search

Using SEO optimization companies - worth it?

(13 Posts)
ejc1 Mon 19-Feb-18 16:23:24

Hi
I've started an online business selling art (been going since September). I'm growing the business organically with a limited budget. I am getting bit frustrated with the slow progress getting found on google through trying to use social media channels etc. I've used Adwords and I find it helpful and it has brought traffic to my site but I'm wondering if it's more cost effective and/or better (in terms of trying to keep the searching organic) to use a company to help with SEO.

Also, I wouldn't know where to start with finding the right company to use. If anyone has any tried and tested recommendations of SEO companies I'd love to hear about them!

Thank you!

OP’s posts: |
IfNot Mon 19-Feb-18 16:31:21

It can do, but it's not an exact science, as search engines are constantly tweaking their criteria, precisely to prevent manipulation of search results.
SEO companies should work with your content/ tags etc to make your site more searchable, and also try to build links from other sites to yours.
You can try building more content into your site yourself (and with what you are selling, regular blogging is a great fit for this)as search engines love relevant content.
Also try to get links to your site on other sites-review sites, art magazines, home decor companies? Use Insta lots as your product is visual.
If you do use an SEO company, make sure they use reputable practices, as "black hat" SEO can get your site penalised.
Good luck- sounds like a fascinating idea for a company.

TalkinPeace Mon 19-Feb-18 16:33:14

No.
THey are generally pretty clueless

Fekko Mon 19-Feb-18 16:33:37

I’d do a few online tutorials and crack on with GoogleAdwords.

I find agencies charge an awful lot and after an initial flurry of activity, go off the boil as shiny new clients come on board!

ejc1 Mon 19-Feb-18 16:36:13

Thank you! I admit to finding the SEO process confusing and overwhelming. I know blogging is supposed to help to but have yet to brave that!
I am on insta all the time - it's building slowly and I can see recognition which is great, I just am impatient for things to move quicker!

ejc1 Mon 19-Feb-18 16:37:24

Yes, I don't know any of my friends/other friends in business who have used them. I tend to ignore the promotional emails that come through but thought a recommendation could be worth it...

Fekko Mon 19-Feb-18 16:38:14

I wouldn’t to be honest. Are you on Twitter and LinkedIn?

ejc1 Mon 19-Feb-18 16:42:16

yes, am on Twitter which I use a lot less than insta, although i've heard twitter good for art sales. I can make more of my LinkedIn, I rarely log on to that

k2p2k2tog Mon 19-Feb-18 16:43:11

I'm a web content writer - 99% of what I do is for SEO purposes. You don't need a company to help you. You need to :

Know what people are searching for onlline when they click through to your company. Google analytics can do this.

Have a well-structured website which has relevant content, updated regularly with relevant articles. (Blog, news, what's happening, new products).

Link website with Twitter/Facebook.

Link to other relevant websites and try to get reputable websites to link to yours. (so if you're selling art, try to get home interiors or lifestyle sites to feature you).

Look at your page headers and meta-tags - the bits which tell google what your're all about.

Google's digital garage is pretty good and free training in the basics.

ejc1 Mon 19-Feb-18 16:47:14

Thank you for those suggestions.

I have got the links in everywhere. I haven't revisited my site to check tags etc for a while. I definitely want to form some partnerships with interior designers etc.

good to hear peoples thoughts on SEO companies

IfNot Mon 19-Feb-18 16:57:49

Was coming back to say def use Google Analytics to see where your traffic is coming from, and what people are searching for.

TalkinPeace Mon 19-Feb-18 18:06:39

DH checks our site traffic and tags and adverts every week without fail.
It makes a difference.

MyEffingkids Sat 24-Feb-18 16:32:06

There are an awful lot of bad SEO companies. I’d avoid them.
Facebook Ads are good- not boosting posts but targeting ads, eg a age, disposable income, hobbies, people who’s birthdays are coming up etc- you can be really selective as to which people see your ads.
There are numerous good, free FB groups how to succeed with Insta/FB/Twitter ads.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in