Talk

Advanced search

Would you sign up to be a part-time carer/befriender?

(10 Posts)
JennyBaker45 Thu 15-Feb-18 22:17:34

Hello

I am considering starting a business that would allow stay-at-home mums/dads to provide elderly care / companionship in their local community. They would need to sign up for 5-10 hours each week and will earn between £10-15 per hour.
Typical services would include help with shopping, cooking, paying bills,etc.

Just wondering how many of you would be interested in signing up to become a local carer / befriender for a £10-15 hourly rate?

Many thanks

OP’s posts: |
FlibbertyGiblets Thu 15-Feb-18 22:20:18

Nope.

Out of interest how would you vet potential befrienders? And the people receiving the services too?

PurpleDaisies Thu 15-Feb-18 22:21:20

Would they take their children with them?

Dolphincrossing Thu 15-Feb-18 22:22:26

Most home carers don’t earn more than minimum wage.

meandmytinfoilhat Thu 15-Feb-18 22:29:26

What are you charging the client if you can afford to pay the carer £15 per hour?

What about children at school? Would all services provided be between school hours?

Usually, carers work between 7.30am and 9pm at night.

Would you pay for travel time and their petrol for journeys to the clients house and then to the shop?

Would you be providing a uniform?

What about training? How long is it for? Is it accredited? Is it paid/unpaid? Will you be organising further qualifications that carers can do in their own time?

I don't know if you've thought about any of these things OP but these are the type of things that you need to think about.

JennyBaker45 Fri 16-Feb-18 08:51:34

Thanks everyone for the useful feedback

To answer some of the questions:
- The idea is to use the downtime when kids are at school, so the caring hours will focus on the 10am - 3pm slot. Mums with older kids who can be left at home can deliver care in the evening as well.

- The carers will need to undertake a DBS check (this is a legal requirement to work with the elderly and children) and will undergo an online training course covering the basics

- I realise the hourly rate of £10-15 per hour is towards the high side but we are planning a technology service add-on to make the proposition more compelling e.g. notifications to relatives / next of kin to let them know how the visit went, when the carer arrived and left, etc

- Good question on transport cost and petrol. I haven't yet figured that out but my thinking is that this can be absorbed by the carer if the hourly rate is higher than the industry average

Thanks again

OP’s posts: |
speakout Sun 18-Feb-18 08:18:55

There are already many agencies that provide such care.
And lots of regulations that have to be adhered to for candidates. You will need to be registered with social services and your activities regulated.
Vulnerable people need a standard of care.
While your motives are genuine I don't think this is a viable idea.

Allthecoolkids Sun 18-Feb-18 08:22:53

I think it’s a great idea, IF done properly.

Tinseltower Sun 18-Feb-18 08:28:58

I basically do the same thing. The hourly pay is too much as your overheads will be bigger than you think. Insurance, your wage, training, bills, etc all take up a lot of money. Carers should take around half of what you are charging your client.

Athome77 Sun 18-Feb-18 08:29:02

In my area social services pay less than £14 per hour, they also expect a percentage of carers to have Nvq training, percentage to be moving and handling, first aide, safeguarding etc trained.how are you going to charge enough to pay that rate? Will they all be private clients. You could go down the befriendin/shopping- no personal care or medication route, then you would not need to be registered with cqc.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in