Talk

Advanced search

Best way to come up with a name for a food business?

(12 Posts)
Flawedbroad Thu 11-Jan-18 23:27:05

Hi all,
I have a pretty good business plan for a plant based business but I'm really struggling to come up with a name. I'm not a vegan but If I'm not eating meat then all my food is vegan by default due to allergies. Does anyone know how I can get over this hurdle? It's the final step but I literally cannot think of anything that stands out. I have good ideas about the range of products I want to create but can't really start the design side of things until I come up with a name. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

OP’s posts: |
CheapSausagesAndSpam Fri 12-Jan-18 00:47:50

Separate the fact that you eat meat from the business.

You're going to be selling a vegan product.

Who is your market? What is the demographic?

Once you share that, I can probably help you.

Flawedbroad Fri 12-Jan-18 01:52:32

Thank you for responding. Separating my meat intake is a good idea. I sell some of my homemade products at farmers markets and the majority of my customers are quite young so early teens to about 35. But I also get a few customers who are a little older. It'll mostly be marketed to a younger demographic as they're more likely to consume plant based products according to my research

CheapSausagesAndSpam Fri 12-Jan-18 04:03:41

Can you mention what it is OP? It's tricky to advise without knowing what the actual product is.

Flawedbroad Fri 12-Jan-18 09:24:38

It's a business selling plant based and nut free foods. I'm allergic to eggs, dairy and nuts so if a meal of mine doesn't contain meat it is accidentally vegan. All sweet things I eat are vegan due to my allergies. However I struggle to find decent products that actually taste good, are nut free and don't curdle in hot drinks. So I've been looking into developing my own coconut milk and then creating other items from the by products e.g. Coconut ice cream, coconut flour. I basically want to start off with a vegan sweet range as I currently make sweet treats like vegan marshmallows, cake and fudge that sell very well.

CheapSausagesAndSpam Fri 12-Jan-18 10:35:30

So you want your company name to sound healthy and tasty.

You want it to be a pleasant, wholesome name...something that conjures up delightfully healthy yet gorgeous food.

Some of the best-known vegan food producers are below

Alpro
Amy's Kitchen
Daiya
Happidog
Innocent
Earth's Own Food Company
Sun Basket
Turtle Island Foods

So you can see that the words used are positive, nature inspired, bright, light and one or two a little exotic sounding.

As a lot of what you do is coconut based and desserty....I would maybe look at a name which reflected that.

Coco Cup
Coconut Ladle
Country Bowl Foods
Sweet Stuff Vegan
Vegan Delight Foods

And so forth

The inclusion of words like bowl, ladle and cup spell out what you sell...edibles...and they're also very satisfying words. Words to make you feel hungry and a bit cosy too.

Dontbuymeroses Fri 12-Jan-18 10:38:24

I am doing similar at the moment (coming up with a name, not making plant based foods!).

I feels like a hurdle for me at the moment! I was watching the film Julia and Julia while working the other day, while deciding what to call a cook book they brainstormed loads of relevant words onto post it notes...eventually they picked several that fit and they made up the title. I am doing a similar exercise to get my mind working more creatively with words.

I think that it also has to work when your name is in an url, one really good name that I came up with looks completely wrong when you type it as part of a web address. I'm also looking at the people who's names I most remember on Instagram, so many are really clever but they get lost is a sea of other similarly clever names.

Would including your own name work?

Flawedbroad Fri 12-Jan-18 10:47:10

Thank you both for your responses, they've really helped. I did think about including my name but there's a brand that already exists with that particular name (Rachel's) so I've been thinking of ways to make it a little different. Maybe another word beginning with 'r' as I am a fan of alliteration, I feel it makes the name flow better. That word exercise sounds promising roses I think I'll give that a go too.

Flawedbroad Fri 12-Jan-18 10:48:16

Also thank you for the name suggestions spam they're very helpful

Dontbuymeroses Fri 12-Jan-18 10:52:03

of course, Rachel's, I quite often buy their yogurts!

ijustwantfiveminutespeace Thu 18-Jan-18 12:08:10

Delightful Vegan Treats
Delightfully Vegan
Just Vegan
Anyone for Vegan
Satisfy your inner Vegan

gigi556 Thu 18-Jan-18 23:43:45

The Real Coconut
Coco Cup
Coco Nutter
Daily Dose
Coconut Delicious

Can you incorporate your location in the name? For example - Bedford Bites

I'd stay away from using Vegan in the name and use in the tagline instead. I'm also trying to come up with a business name and it's bloody hard!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in