Talk

Advanced search

appreniceship

(2 Posts)
mummyofteens2 Mon 08-Jan-18 20:31:25

hi my 16 year old daughter is not enjoying college and wants to start an apprenticeship she has found one that starts next month but only lasts for 1 year then she will be qualified would she be able to just stay at the company and go into full time work or does she still have to stay in full time education untill 18?

RuskinMarc Tue 09-Jan-18 12:29:30

If you're in England the rules are:

You can leave school on the last Friday in June if you’ll be 16 by the end of the summer holidays.

You must then do one of the following until you’re 18:

- stay in full-time education, for example at a college
- start an apprenticeship or traineeship
- spend 20 hours or more a week working or volunteering, while in part-time education or training

www.gov.uk/know-when-you-can-leave-school

My reading of this suggests that she could stay with the company but it's likely that before she's 18 they will need to find some way of keeping her in 'approved' education or training even if she's working full time. I guess the sensible thing for them would be to progress her through the apprenticeship levels.

I would also suggest that she picks this up with the careers / student support team at college to confirm the situation as they will know the rules better than I do.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »