Proof reading from home - where do i start?

(3 Posts)
redrobinblue Fri 18-Aug-17 09:47:13

I am currently in a position where youngest DC is due to start nursery and i have the opportunity to look into doing work that i will hopefully enjoy more than previous employment.

I have a politics degree, and have worked in various industries at management level (mainly doing report heavy work), and am now hoping to do something that will be flexible around childcare, and ideally from home (perhaps I'm dreaming, not hoping!)

I have been looking at various routes, and the courses offered by SFEP, as well as others. Is there a recognised course? Or a case of educating yourself until you're confident with basic proof reading and get yourself experience as you go along?

Any advice gratefully received!

OP’s posts: |
Jivebunny89 Sat 19-Aug-17 14:35:57

I've also looked into this.
In short; there isn't a certain proofreading qualification you need, and there are many different providers of training, with the SfEP being the most reputable.
I did sign up to a ten-week night class with a certification exam at the end, however it was undersubscribed so it was cancelled. My local gov offer many adult education courses, and this was one of them, so it's good to look through the brochures locally to see if there is anything provided.
I joined the SfEP for a year, but decided to not renew and focus my energies on my business, rather than broadening. I was invited to local SfEP meetings, however was too busy to attend any. They sounded good though.

Have you worked with proofreaders before? I'm from a publishing background and realised that I was catching mistakes which the proofreaders didn't.

Hope that's a little bit helpful! Best of luck!

thereallochnessmonster Wed 06-Sep-17 13:54:52

Editor here. The Publishing Training Centre and the SfEP run the best editing/proofreading courses in the UK. I'd avoid all others tbh.

(OTOH, an adult education class on proofreading might help you to know whether you're suited to proofing/might be able to make a career of it, but you will need more training before you can call yourself a proofreader/start working!)

The UK's professional organisation for editors is the Society for
Editors and Proofreaders - www.sfep.org.uk

There are loads of benefits to joining - editors' forums, local groups, discounts on training, CPD, etc. Browse their website to find out more, or PM me. I'm a member, and find it invaluable.

You join as an entry-level member and are encouraged to upgrade - there are various routes. When you are a professional member, you qualify for an entry in their Directory of Editorial Services - where I get most of my clients.

And SfEP's courses are constantly being upgraded to reflect the move from hard copy to online editing and proofing.

PM me if you'd like any more info.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in