Talk

Advanced search

Eligibility

(9 Posts)
sadusername2 Fri 07-Jul-17 16:49:19

My daughter has a fine art degree, so no obvious career path? I was wondering if she could apply for an apprenticeship.

TotallyEclipsed Sun 09-Jul-17 19:29:42

There were some people with a degree in dd's apprenticeship, but I think it does affect the funding the company gets from the government, so it may be more difficult to secure a place for apprenticeships that only need GCSEs or a level for entry (basically the firm would have to meet all the costs, foregoing the subsidy). I don't know if any post graduate apprenticeships exist, but if they do there would be no problem. Also I think the rules around what the government pays/doesn't pay change quite a bit, so what I've just said may be out of date. If there's an apprenticeship that particularly appeals to her, the best idea would be for her to phone up and ask before applying.

sadusername2 Sun 09-Jul-17 20:22:09

Thanks. I think she has convinced herself that it wasn't an option.

sadusername2 Sun 09-Jul-17 20:22:57

I should have said she is 27. Is she a barrier?

TotallyEclipsed Sun 09-Jul-17 21:27:35

Age shouldn't be a barrier, but again it might make a difference to some of the subsidies available. The government were talking about 50+'s doing apprenticeships this week, so I guess you're never too old!

catslife Mon 10-Jul-17 19:04:34

My daughter has a fine art degree, so no obvious career path?
Has she looked at www.prospects.ac.uk/ that website has suggested degree related careers?
Apprentices are entitled to the minimum wage and this increases with age -so a 27 year old will be more expensive for an employer than a 16-18 year old. whether this makes a difference or not will depend on her current skills and experience.

Lucyccfc Mon 17-Jul-17 22:15:51

The new apprenticeship levy (funding) means that there is no age barrier and it doesn't matter that she has a degree, unless she wants to do an apprenticeship that offers a similar route I.e fine art. She could do an apprenticeship in law, welding, nursing etc etc but not fine art.

The funding is the same regardless of age, except if an employer takes a 16-18 year old, they receive £1000.

sadusername2 Thu 20-Jul-17 21:07:22

Thanks. Things a lot more flexible than we thought.

Lucyccfc Fri 21-Jul-17 19:36:29

No worries. I have just taken on 16 apprentices at work and one of them is 26. He wants a change of career and whilst he will have to start on minimum wage, it will rise to £12 an hour once he is a qualified welder. He'll get his level 3 Engineering and welding quals too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »