how do I start paying NI? want the kids in preschool for 30 hours

(4 Posts)
user1467297746 Tue 06-Jun-17 12:56:54

we moved back to the UK after decades away - I had a business overseas for my design work.

We became domiciled last october but I havent done anywork until last month.. My clients are still my old overseas clients.

My partner is working 20 hours a week and we want to get 30 hours care for the kids.

how to go about this?

OP’s posts: |
InTheRedTent Thu 08-Jun-17 13:01:01

Without taxes submitted or current wage slips it will be very difficult. I am self employed, they needed evidence of current earnings for the last 3 months to prove each week I had earned over the £120 a week minimum as my last submitted tax year (2015-2016) I was only working for a small part of it as I gave myself 18 months maternity. You will need to do the same for your partner. Both must evidence earning over £120 a week consistently.

InTheRedTent Thu 08-Jun-17 13:01:34

But national insurance is irrelevant, it is evidence you are working 16 hours and earning minimum wage or more.

MacarenaFerreiro Sat 10-Jun-17 19:38:41

Do you have a National Insurance number? Applying for one will be your first step - but if you lived in the UK unil the age of 16 you should already have one. Call HMRC and ask. You'll then have to register as self-employed, in fact you should probably have done this already. It doesn't matter where your clients are based - it's that you're here and should be paying tax and NI here.

No idea about the benefits thing or free childcare but it will depend on lots of factors, including earnings.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in