Advanced search

Maximising tax reductions - Ltd company

(12 Posts)
FusionChefGeoff Thu 20-Apr-17 22:21:00

I know the advice is to get an accountant, and I do have one but a) they are rubbish (have refunded my 1st year's fees due to various mistakes / delays) and b) I don't trust them as a result. I'm looking for another one but in the meantime....

I want to check with people who are far more experienced at this than I am, if I am making the most of the tax offset available to me.

Last year, I invoiced approx 20k.

The following was deducted:
I pay myself via PAYE to meet the 11,000 threshold
I pay £243 a month directly to a childcare voucher provider
I pay £150 a month directly into a workplace pension as Employer payments
Mileage at 45p per mile to all client meetings and work related trips
All direct other travel expenses eg train / taxi / accommodation
Postage / stamps
Ink for printer
Total cost of phone contract
£208 annual working from home allowance
Couple of bits of furniture for my office
Laptop / case

Is there anything blindingly obvious that I should be claiming which I'm not??

OP’s posts: |
OfflineFor40Years Sat 22-Apr-17 18:29:26

Any professional indemnity insurance? Membership or subscription costs for to an HMRC recognised body? Ongoing CPD? Antivirus or webhosting costs? Co Hse filing fees for Confirmation statement?

OfflineFor40Years Sat 22-Apr-17 18:31:52

Also you should use your dividend allowance (if you are not receiving dividends from elsewhere) to distribute any remaining profits after tax.

FusionChefGeoff Sun 23-Apr-17 20:02:56

Oh thank you much for replying!

I have maxed out my dividend allowance so that has helped.

OP’s posts: |
FusionChefGeoff Sun 23-Apr-17 20:06:36

In all honesty, this came from another thread which a poster said 'most self employed people I know hardly pay any tax as everything is deductible' and I thought, hang on, I'm paying over a grand!

OP’s posts: |
KevinKeegan Sun 23-Apr-17 20:07:18

The cost of the accountant (if still in the tax year), any bank charges. You can only claim the phone if it's in the business name not a personal one.

reawakeningambition Tue 25-Apr-17 22:18:24

"£208 annual working from home allowance"

What is this?

FusionChefGeoff Tue 25-Apr-17 23:17:06

It's a simplified way of claiming back costs of running a Ltd company from home. So to cover electricity, heating etc. HMRC set a fixed amount rather than getting into complicated calculations to split out 'home' use and 'work' use

OP’s posts: |
reawakeningambition Wed 26-Apr-17 10:35:41


sounds good for me, I've been working out the slow and painful way for year.

ButLtd co? I think sole trader?

glitterglitters Wed 26-Apr-17 10:44:45

@reawakeningambition i would assume bills for heat, electric etc if a proportion of the work is undertaken from the home.

reawakeningambition Wed 26-Apr-17 10:53:22

terribly exciting!

JesusDontWantMeForASunbeam Mon 01-May-17 17:38:10

Ooooh place marking. DP has put me in charge of his books!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in