Talk

Advanced search

Supplementing income

(4 Posts)
halfbuffy Mon 12-Dec-16 13:21:28

Earlier this year I went freelance as a copywriter. At first I had a big project which kept me going for a few months, but now work has tailed off and I'm worried about making ends meet.

I've tried to be proactive and sent my portfolio website to both agencies and businesses in the area but I've had a really low response. I'm sort of putting it down to the time of year as it's nearly Christmas and hoping that it will pick up when I do another push in the new year.

I wondered if there was anything I could do to supplement my income. I've looked at sites like people per hour but I'm worried that the monetary return isn't as much effort as you put in. Are there any other sites that I could join to help? I'm open to doing anything from transcribing or even data entry from home just to make sure I can earn enough to pay my way.

Anyone got any advice?

OP’s posts: |
halfbuffy Tue 13-Dec-16 10:54:27

Sorry I'm just bumping this smile

PinkPolish Tue 13-Dec-16 13:37:07

Friends of mine who make a good income from copywriting have found local networking groups best; most of their work comes from small businesses.

Do you have good experience? Not being funny but some people who say they are copywriters have no training they just think they can write words!

You need to meet people who are possible clients.

Why did you leave a company and go freelance?

halfbuffy Tue 13-Dec-16 14:40:49

Thanks for your reply! I'm already on the committee for one of the creative & digital networking groups in my area and do go to the other events. I've made some good connections here and have got work off the back of those which is good.

I've got almost 5 years' experience both in an agency and client side across different sectors like fashion, interiors and finance so I don't think I've made myself too niche.

I left because I wasn't enjoying the role at my previous employer and I found that working on one or two brands at a time wasn't for me, I really like the variety that comes with being freelance - although realising that it's a double edged sword if you don't have regular clients!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in