Advanced search

from SE to Limited Company - tax question

(11 Posts)
GrumpyOldBag Wed 28-Sep-16 14:19:06

I recently switched from being a sole trader self-employed to a Limited Company with one director (me).

When I was self-employed as I worked from home I was able to offset some of my household costs - utility bills, etc - against my revenues to reduce my tax liability.

I still work from home, am I able to do that as a Limited Company too?


OP’s posts: |
NNChangeAgain Wed 28-Sep-16 14:23:52

My understanding is that youwill be an employee of the company, so the company can pay you (as an employee) expenses to work from home;

IceMaiden73 Wed 28-Sep-16 23:28:04

As a director the rules are slightly different

GrumpyOldBag Thu 29-Sep-16 07:58:44

Thanks. Icemaiden that calculator looks like how I used to do it when I was a sole trader, self-employed.

Just wondered if it is different now I am a Director of my own Limited Company.

OP’s posts: |
NNChangeAgain Thu 29-Sep-16 08:10:54

This article says that Directors are treated as employees, unless as the company owner, you change the company rent for using your home premises:

NNChangeAgain Thu 29-Sep-16 08:21:47


GrumpyOldBag Thu 29-Sep-16 13:06:08

Thanks Change. So it seems I can either claim £4 a week, or rent my home office to myself - but then I will pay income tax on the profit which defeats the object, as the reason I set up as a limited company was to pay myself a tiny salary which is more tax efficient.

OP’s posts: |
dillyduck Thu 29-Sep-16 23:31:21

You wont have any profit as you pro rata the costs and so there is no profit.

I pay £1200 a year- paid in 1 lump sum. This is less than the pro rata costs for the space. I compared pre and post working from one bills as well which show the uplift in costs.

GrumpyOldBag Fri 30-Sep-16 17:42:47

Good point dilly

OP’s posts: |
Ju222 Thu 13-Oct-16 21:56:35

I work from home with 3 staff and I'm an accountant. I charge a rent for the office on which I pay tax but the company gains tax relief so nil effect. But by doing so it makes it seem a little more legitimate from hmrc's point of view that I also charge the company for electric (calculated on meter readings based on consumption before and after having the office here), and refreshments, cleaning products, loo roll, oil, coal, logs,etc etc at a weekly amount which I declare as additional rental income, but immediately offset by the same cost. Therefore no tax charge to me, but my company saves 20% on all those charges. As a director I have to do a tax return anyway so it's no hardship to complete the rental pages too. My other half is self employed so we do the same for him and declare it jointly, which saves him Class IV NIC on the rental charge too. Hope that helps.

Ju222 Thu 13-Oct-16 22:03:42

Ps, don't forget that with the new tax on divided rules, charging rent to your company (within reason!) would give you a way of taking money out of the company with a 20% tax bill to you, 20% tax saving to the company i.e. nil, as oppose to any divs over £5k being taxed at 7.5% on you with no tax relief to the company. Depends on your earnings of course.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in