Talk

Advanced search

Spreading the word via Mumsnet..

(12 Posts)
ProfessorPreciseaBug Fri 16-Sep-16 09:44:57

We are planning a startup. The product will be useful to a small number of Mumsnetters.. But it is a very small and niche market.

Looking through the threads I have identified a few people who could use the product.. However the site clearly says that messaging is not to be used for marketing etc. And I obviously have no wish to ignore such a rule and upset the admin team.

Does anyone know how to square this one?

OP’s posts: |
Tiggeryoubastard Fri 16-Sep-16 09:49:31

Pay to advertise. Like other people.

ProfessorPreciseaBug Fri 16-Sep-16 10:09:18

Advertising works when you have large numbers.
We know the market is very small compared to the UK population. As in four zeros of a percent!!!
A quarter page advert in a professional mag is circa £6000.. Split that out across the size of the market and advertising would put the operation costs up to the point where the price point is prohibitive.

OP’s posts: |
ImperialBlether Fri 16-Sep-16 10:13:35

Does your product/service rely on the geography of the purchaser?

How would someone else (an established company) reach your target audience?

bibbitybobbityyhat Fri 16-Sep-16 10:16:52

How to square this one = do not message individual Mumsnetters on Mumsnet and do not spam the boards.

Simple.

EssentialHummus Fri 16-Sep-16 10:17:31

Your niche market must congregate somewhere, online or otherwise. It is geography, age, education level, a particular interest, a shared life experience, common needs?

If your advertising plan involves reaching out to individuals one by one, that doesn't sound right, IMO.

Tiggeryoubastard Fri 16-Sep-16 10:23:58

Well either lookup other ways to advertise ;there's loads) or accept that either your business isn't viable or you're not up to running the business.

SurelyYoureJokingMrFeynman Fri 16-Sep-16 10:26:34

Go talk to MNHQ!

There are different ways to advertise on here, and I think the cheapest (advertising thread) is around £30.

But I'm sure they'll be happy to talk you through it.

TripTrapTripTrapOverTheBridge Thu 29-Sep-16 01:58:01

If your idea of finding custom for your 'business' is to message people on forums then you are onto a serious loser.

That is no way to run a business.

Advertise like everyone else, there are plenty of avenues. You just need to find them

DixieWishbone Thu 29-Sep-16 02:03:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

YabuDabbaDoo Thu 29-Sep-16 02:07:58

Consider Mumsnet local?

hutchblue Sat 26-Nov-16 18:54:45

Facebook Ads and target the Mumsnet page?
Then choose other variables to make sure you get the 0.0004% of people you want to reach...

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in