Tax code

(3 Posts)
hotdogdiggity Thu 22-Oct-15 11:54:50

Hi all,

I only recently became self-employed (in April) and doing bits and bobs so far for a few hundred here, a few hundred there.

I have just been offered some work for a big organisation and they have asked me for my UTR. I have applied for this (by registering as self-employed) but have been told it take 8 weeks to process and send.

My question is this: what do I tell this organisation? Will it put them off hiring me?? The job is for less than a thousand but I don't want them to think that I am unprofessional! I haven't registered so far as I am way below the threshold (I know, I still should have registered though).

Any advice on what to say welcome.

OP’s posts: |
imsorryiasked Thu 22-Oct-15 15:32:54

If you applied online then it should only take two or three weeks to come through.
I would suggest that you just say that you have registered with HMRC and are waiting for the UTR to be issued.
Do you have an email confirmation of registering that you could refer to or provide a copy of for their reference.

OfflineFor40Years Thu 22-Oct-15 22:51:06

Have they said what they need it for? It's not evidence of self-employment as anyone who has filed a self assessment for whatever reason will have one. It's also a fairly confidential reference as it is your peronal identifier when talking to HMRC.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in