Professional Indemnity insurance

(4 Posts)
NotYouNaanBread Thu 06-Aug-15 11:00:22

Inspired by a thread below, I wanted to ask about PI insurance.

I am changing the nature of my business, and am now offering digital consultancy. Advice, strategy, implementation, simple (but gorgeous!) websites - predominantly aimed at lean start-ups and small businesses, although it's early days, so fluid. I am quite affordable, and will (I hope) save my clients a lot of money in the long term by getting them started off on the right foot.

But insurance. I do most of the work myself, and have a few freelancers who I give work out to. I have done up a quote on the AXA page and it's £15 a month (I said I was a marketing consultancy, which is close enough).

Can anybody tell me more about the need for this, and what I should be looking for?

OP’s posts: |
MrsMargoLeadbetter Thu 06-Aug-15 17:04:06

Might have been my thread....

My insurance is going to rise from c£160 a year to £500 thanks to declaring I work with other freelancers! I am going to shop around though.

Have no idea what we really need.

Not much help!

NotYouNaanBread Fri 07-Aug-15 11:04:07

Margo - yes, I think it was! My quote on AXA included me saying that I had 3 freelancers, if that's any help.

The sort of work I do... well, I can't imagine it costing anybody the sort of money they might sue me for if it didn't work out. It's not like installing boilers or something - it would be more like "oh, that brand identity turned out to be suboptimal" but then equally, my developer could leave a "hole" in a website that made payment information insecure. So...

I really want advice from somebody in our situation, not a professional body etc.

OP’s posts: |
MrsMargoLeadbetter Fri 14-Aug-15 08:35:02

Thanks for sharing.

I ended up going with Hiscox. They said freelancers I work with who do similar to what I do are covered under normal terms. I then talked about using web developers and it has been written in that I am an introducer.

I do need to make sure my clients have direct contracts with the web developers.

Was £225 for the yr. They offer 0% monthly payments too. They were v helpful on the phone unlike Simply Business. I guess the fact they are a insurance co not broker helps.

Hope you get it sorted.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in