Daisy birthing teachers

(7 Posts)
TheWhoOfWhoville Tue 07-Apr-15 20:59:32

Are there any here? Seriously considering booking the training but I have a few questions about how much interest you have in your courses. Is it feasible to fill all 10 places on the course and how many classes do you run a week (for example in the standard size area which I think is a population of 125000)
Thank you for any help

OP’s posts: |
LazyDaisyLizMidSussex Mon 13-Apr-15 16:15:38

I used to, but gave up as it didn't work for me.

I know others though who have made a business out of it. Not sure how profitable it is though even for the busy ones, once license fees are paid, and venue/petrol/marketing costs etc...

Nice classes though, and the mum's LOVED them ;)

Good luck. X

TheWhoOfWhoville Mon 13-Apr-15 19:04:50

Thanks Liz. Do you mind me asking, was it just that the profit margin wasn't big enough, or did you struggle to get enough people wanting to do the classes?

LazyDaisyLizMidSussex Mon 13-Apr-15 21:13:36

Both for me. I live in Mid Sussex - quite a conservative area in terms of how to approach birth and to prepare for it. I thought that could work in its favour. On paper I thought it would be easy to have at least a couple of antenatal classes a week with 10 or so in each, but it was a lot harder than I thought!

With baby classes, mums would often come for a term (6 weeks) and some for much longer. So that was good.

The difficulty was building up the antenatal groups, as this is still an NCT stronghold, and mums are looking for friend-groups for them and their partners post-arrival of their babies.

Lazy Daisy offered this in a way with the workshops, but one workshop isn't the same as meeting once a week for a few weeks - especially for male bonding to occur ;)

People who came to classes recommended them, and people came back when they were pregnant again!

But it just wasn't enough to run a business.

If you live in or near a big town or city, I imagine it might be easier.

Do the maths ;)

Or maybe combine the teaching with something else! What I'm doing now is much more promising, with a lot smaller outlay.

But I still miss my mums!

TheWhoOfWhoville Tue 14-Apr-15 08:59:44

That’s really helpful thanks Liz. I’d be based in a town in Wales, and Daisy seems to have done well in surrounding towns and cities. It’s considered a fairly economically deprived area though, so I do have some concerns as to whether I’d be able to fill the ante-natal classes sufficiently to make them profitable. Do you mind me asking what you are doing now? No worries if you’d rather not say, I’m just curious and want to explore all options before committing money to this!

LazyDaisyLizMidSussex Thu 16-Apr-15 11:25:36

I'm currently building a home-based business with Forever Living, and Utility Warehouse.

The Forever Living is about health and skincare products which are based on the unique and special aloe Vera plant. The products are very family friendly, and some of them are particularly fab for mums and babies ;) They are also for people who love being fit (or want to be!), and people's pets!

Utility Warehouse offers great savings and cash back to people who join the club, so people save on all their everyday shopping as well as their bills.

The best part is that you although you are working independently, you are also part of a team, and you can build your own team too - offering others the same opportunity, to do things they never even dreamt of.

Both companies offer really useful training to get you up and running, and they cost between £50 and £199 to get up and running!

Most people build these businesses around their other commitments - whether that's children, or other jobs, or both.

There are other options out there - it just depends what you're into ;)

If you have a good sponsor, they will show you how to get up and running v quickly, and make back your start-up fees quickly, so that you turn a profit within a month, and are on your way to Manager!

If you'd like to know more, just ask and I can send you a link about Forever.

Btw, Lazy Daisy classes are great - not too hippy, and really helpful techniques. I've also taught HypnoBirthing, but feel that LD has a wider appeal.

You might benefit from checking out local venue fees, and working out what you can charge in your area per class. I used to charge £10, as others were charging up to £12 in my area. But you need to adjust it to attract as many as poss. I think it's best to charge less and get more people, rather than charge higher and just get a few. E.g. There's a Zumba teacher around here who charges £5 a class, and her classes are full all the time! It might be worth offering a further discount to people who renew for the next 6 week course too? Still, do the maths, and don't be over-optimistic. You could always do some market research online too, using survey monkey, or FB - choose your demographic, region, etc, and put your questionnaire out there. Nothing like getting real feedback from real people / potential customers! It will also drum up interest if you decide to get started.

Best,
Liz smile

TheWhoOfWhoville Mon 27-Apr-15 20:36:40

Thanks Liz. That's really helpful advice.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in