Women Traders Directory

(3 Posts)
interestingtimes Wed 18-Mar-15 15:24:41

I am starting a new business which is an index of women traders in the UK. It is not overly fussy - no sexy women with power tools and is intended to be a very practicable website whereby the public can search for a particular type of trader in their area. There are a few other similar sites but I am hoping to bash the competition!

Could you give me some feedback on the type of information you would / or wouldn't like to have on the site as someone searching for a trader please.

If you are a female trader, what information would you want visible to the public, and also what sort of pages for the 'Trader' section?

OP’s posts: |
loveareadingthanks Thu 16-Apr-15 15:38:33

My first question would be about the name of the site. I know we call men working in these fields 'tradesmen', which would be weird for women, but I'm not sure women traders is right either.

I think 'female tradesmen' or 'women tradesmen' or 'tradeswoman' gets used most, but I agree it's not the best solution.

I think you'll struggle for hits as no-one thinks 'I want a woman trader'. Google all those names and you'll see what comes up.

The word Trader means someone who sells stuff - completely different to tradesman or tradeswoman.

TripTrapTripTrapOverTheBridge Sat 18-Apr-15 20:44:22

I agree with the other post. The only reason I looked at this thread is because I thought it was regarding a directory for women who run their own businesses selling things.

A trader is someone who sells things. You need to change the name.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in