Advanced search

Help - need to raise first invoice ever for freelance work - what do I need to know?

(15 Posts)
Starshinetiger Sun 01-Jul-12 21:51:50

Can anyone tell me what I need to do if I need to invoice someone £200 for freelance work done this year. It is the first work I have done this tax year (I stopped formal out of the home work last year). I have done some formatting and proof-reading work for my uncle, but all through the proper business channels at his end.
Do I simply send him (his company) a letter detailing what I did and stating amount?
Do I need to separate out VAT or anything (we have an agreed amount for the work)?
Do I need to declare this to anyone?

Aaagh - am completely clueless blush

Thanks in advance smile

OP’s posts: |
UKSky Mon 02-Jul-12 00:26:50

A letter is fine and will act as an invoice. Although Microsoft Word has invoices in the templates section if you want something a little more professional looking.

It needs to have your name and address, your customers name and address, a brief detail of the work carried out and the total payable.

If you are not registered for VAT you cannot charge it so you just need a total amount.

As it is income you should notify the tax office on your annual tax return. I am assuming that you have already told the tax office that you are self-employed. If not, you must do so within 3 months of commencing.

TalkinPeace2 Mon 02-Jul-12 15:19:09

top right : your name and address, email, web and phone (letterhead is advertising after all)
below that : full date
upper left : clients full name and address
middle middle : invoice number 12/001 is a good format to start with
body : For - professional services rendered blah de blah to the value of £200 - VAT not applicable to this invoice
middle bottom Invoice due on receipt either by cheque to the above address payable to Startshinetiger or by electronic transfer to bank name, sort code, account number

you are now a proper free range bod
well done

TalkinPeace2 Mon 02-Jul-12 15:20:03

for all the tax type stuff, have a look at my ebay me page ....

Starshinetiger Tue 03-Jul-12 12:42:18

Thanks for your help both! One of the many things I love about MN is that I can come on here and be completely dumb and naive and get very helpful, sensible reponses. Now to get myself registered with tax office!

OP’s posts: |
TalkinPeace2 Tue 03-Jul-12 12:44:54

it depends on the board -
post this on AIBU and duck!
On ebay (my original home) the BB was quiet and polite and Q&A was a bun fight :-)

joshua1233 Fri 20-Sep-13 13:58:00

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Flibbertyjibbet Fri 20-Sep-13 14:04:43

Blimey Joshua1233, trawling around old threads to find ones you can put your link on.
If you want to advertise on mumnset then there are ads you can pay for advertising.

And no, I didn't click on your link.

WilsonFrickett Sun 22-Sep-13 21:10:57

Not eur having an invoice made of real cake is what I'm after either Flibberty grin

McKeever Sat 28-Sep-13 16:57:51

I have a small part time job that I get paid for so already have a tax code. I also do a freelance work and invoice the clients so my question is when it comes round to doing the tax return forms do i use the tax code that is on may wage slip from my part time job?

Also how do i work out how much i need to put aside to pay the tax?

Phineyj Sat 28-Sep-13 17:04:09

OP, I was told to start invoices at number 100 as it gives the impression of more experience! I would add payment terms e.g. Payment due within 14 days as it gives you an excuse to ring and chase it up (essential if you do any work for the public sector).

McKeever, you could ring the Inland Revenue for advice (they are quite helpful if you can get through) or else you could grt advice from an accountant. Clients often deduct tax at source even if you are self-employed and it is a pain to get it back.

Phineyj Sat 28-Sep-13 17:05:54

Get not grt!

Phineyj Sat 28-Sep-13 17:08:50

I meant to add that an accountant can also help you plan your tax payments (I am not an accountant btw - just glad to have the services of one!) You could just put aside 20% but what with advance payments and tax allowances it is a bit more complicated than that, and the Revenue are forever getting it wrong anyway, plus they always seem to assume last year's income is a guide to this year's, which is a pain if it fluctuates.

sarwarhossain Wed 28-Nov-18 18:06:00

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

emma123456 Tue 04-Dec-18 10:13:21

Please seek advice from a qualified accountant rather than taking advice on the internet. A tax return should only cost you around £200 + VAT if you keep reasonable records of your income and expenses. There are lots of ways to invoice but an excel template and sequentially number invoices is a good place to start.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in