(192 Posts)
MrsJonesAndMe Thu 06-Sep-18 19:21:05

Here we go!

Nervous and excited. What should I bring? apart from gin

KnottyAndPistey Fri 07-Sep-18 18:46:54

<crying>

grin

TwitterQueen1 Sat 08-Sep-18 11:24:24

Thank you MrsJones I knitted and crocheted as a teenager but that was decades ago!

I'm bringing squares! Here are my 2 latest - I do like this pattern. These are for Early Bird Chernobyl.

TwitterQueen1 Sat 08-Sep-18 11:25:02

This time with pics

SoupDragon Sat 08-Sep-18 11:26:01

Ooh, very nice smile

Spindelina Sat 08-Sep-18 20:27:51

Any tips for what DH, DD(6) and DS(1) can do while I’m hooking? We’re planning to go to the dockyard on Saturday.

I’m also assuming it’ll be OK if they pop their noses in?

Meet0nTheIedge Sat 08-Sep-18 23:14:31

Depending on the weather they could pop over to the IOW on the hovercraft or explore Southsea, there's a funfair, a very long seafront, boating lake/play area at the far end. Or go to Gunwharf Quays and go up the Spinnaker Tower, or cinema, restaurants, all very close by. If they have a car they could head out of the city to the Royal Armouries or Portchester Castle.

bookbook Sun 09-Sep-18 08:50:38

oooh DH was thinking of IOW , but thought the times were a bit off for getting much time there , will have a look!

Meet0nTheIedge Sun 09-Sep-18 09:32:22

The hovercraft goes from the beach at Clarence Pier and goes straight to the beach at Ryde in about 10 minutes. The passenger ferry goes from Portsmouth Harbour station and takes about 25 mins to Ryde pier head, where there is a train into town and on around the east side of the island. Ryde is a fairly traditional seaside town, quite hilly, sandy beaches (unlike Southsea which are shingle).

I can easily while away an afternoon around Southsea and Old Portsmouth. The square tower (our venue) has a small beach right by it which is very sheltered and good harbour entrance views. Walk along to Clarence Pier via the old Garrison Church and back through the High Street past the cathedral. It's a nice area.

MadisonAvenue Sun 09-Sep-18 10:20:33

I so wish I could come to this! I feel so left out 🙁

My cousin has waited 57 years to get married and decides to finally do it that weekend, if the wedding had been local then I could've got a train down on the Sunday but for some reason she's chosen a venue which is 3 hours away (but not in the South which would've made the Hugathon even more doable).

On a positive note though I'm chuffed to bits to read that the Hovercraft still operates!

DropZoneOne Sun 09-Sep-18 10:46:22

Ooh, I need to plan how to get there! Train, drive or get OH to bring me down and he and DD go off for the day.

I also need to construct the kinship hug that I've been dipping in and out of for a year so I can bring it with me.

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Mon 10-Sep-18 19:35:57

Just checking in smile I am really looking forward to this

MrsJonesAndMe Mon 10-Sep-18 21:23:02

DH and DC will be spending it on the beach/fair etc

bookbook Mon 10-Sep-18 22:00:24

all these DH and DC's will be bumping into each other grin

Spindelina Tue 11-Sep-18 19:05:44

They need a parallel activity track!

KnottyAndPistey Thu 13-Sep-18 17:28:43

So excited!

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Thu 13-Sep-18 18:31:18

I've got snazzy badge making supplies so me and TQ will be easily identified as troublemakers glitterball

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Thu 13-Sep-18 18:34:21

Sorry, that should be TQ and I shock I will blame having spent the day on the chemo unit being systematically poisoned. Now home under my WH blanket smile

I'm a slooooow knitter/crocheter these days so I'm telling myself that even if I manage one square that will be one more square than you'd have otherwise... should we bring patterns or are we making plain ones?

bookbook Thu 13-Sep-18 18:59:12

I am hoping expecting to do squares with a bit of a pattern, but considering how nosey I am and how chatty it may be , I may have to do simple grannies! Bringing knitting needles too, just in case anyone needs help .
Mmm - you have raised the bar re badges - shall have to think of something now ...grin

Polter Thu 13-Sep-18 19:22:21

So sorry, but I also can't come any more as my dp has taken a job working away and I need to be at home sad

MrsJonesAndMe Fri 14-Sep-18 20:20:16

Oh no Polter what a shame for you sad

I am not making a badge will have to make do with a sticker nabbed off K&P

I will be doing plain solid grannies (well I'm so slow that maybe just one 12")

A week to go smile

NorksAreMessy Fri 14-Sep-18 20:24:34

Darlings I am soooo suffering from FOMO here (despite not actually being able to knit or knot)
I hope you are the most fabularse time and ......nope, I am too jealous to be nice

envy

bookbook Fri 14-Sep-18 20:34:24

MrsJ - 2 weeks surely ???? < goes to check calendar >
Polter - nash and double nash ...

diamantegal Fri 14-Sep-18 21:12:01

So jealous of you all - wish I was going too! Although I'm going to a friend's 40th birthday party which will be fun too, but will involve more wine and less wool.

Hoping to make the next one, especially if it's near Teddington Towers next time - I assume this is the start of something beautiful?!

MrsJonesAndMe Fri 14-Sep-18 21:13:35

Ooops blush

TwitterQueen1 Fri 14-Sep-18 22:20:15

If Leslie behaves I will too wink

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: