Talk

Advanced search

WH meet up thread

(192 Posts)
MrsJonesAndMe Thu 06-Sep-18 19:21:05

Here we go!

Nervous and excited. What should I bring? apart from gin

Iwantacampervan Thu 06-Sep-18 22:13:07

I'm looking forward to it but have some very busy weekends before then (including taking eldest to university for the first time!)

TwitterQueen1 Thu 06-Sep-18 22:24:09

Yoohoo! knock knock, it's only me, TQ.....

I started crocheting only a year ago, after I received my very own woolly hug (stage 4 ovarian cancer). I find it immensely soothing to be able to do something useful during my enforced inactivity. I'm enjoying learning new patterns and trying to be neater!

Point of etiquette.. do we reveal our MN usernames at the event or stick to real ones? I'm assuming there will be non-MNers there?

Fellow oldies - what was that programme decades ago when ladies (definitely ladies then, not women) rang the doorbell and had a coffee morning. Was it just called 'Coffee Morning'?

TwitterQueen1 Thu 06-Sep-18 22:25:07

Which uni Campervan? I can cover Notts, Birminham and Exeter if you have any questions.

bookbook Thu 06-Sep-18 22:30:31

I think I will need a shopping trolley shock - I am bringing along stuff , and crafting tools , and , and , and ....possibly the blankets I have constructed over summer . mmm - maybe a pantechnicon may be more appropriate!

Iwantacampervan Fri 07-Sep-18 07:10:54

TwitterQueen1 Oxford Brookes which isn't too far from us (1.5 hours by car) but it's still a big step. We've been to IKEA and now need to do a food shop!
Knitting squares will be my distraction during the next week or two.

MrsJonesAndMe Fri 07-Sep-18 07:15:05

TQ your stuff is amazing for being that new to it all!

I like your style book

Eek, campervan that sounds busy.

Maybe K&P can give us an idea about how they envision things going.

KnottyAndPistey Fri 07-Sep-18 07:20:48

Morning!

KnottyAndPistey Fri 07-Sep-18 07:23:34

Setting up an event page on fb today and will transfer all info here.

All you need to bring are yourselves and anything you’d like to drop off with us. Plus your trusty hook and needles (4mm)

There is a bar gin

KnottyAndPistey Fri 07-Sep-18 07:24:05

Oxford Brooke’s - does she Row?!

KnottyAndPistey Fri 07-Sep-18 07:24:58

You can use whatever name you like 💪

KnottyAndPistey Fri 07-Sep-18 07:26:26

Knotty and I once went to a mn meet up at Christmas and I went as Justine Roberts. Only after did I find out people thought she was actually there grin

Iwantacampervan Fri 07-Sep-18 07:28:08

No rowing but may get into it - the team's very good I understand. there's talk of joining a gym and swimming plus other societies - apparently there'll be lectures/study too!

KnottyAndPistey Fri 07-Sep-18 08:25:31

Other things than sport you say?

Someone tell my DD!

MeetOnTheLedge Fri 07-Sep-18 08:28:43

I'll be there. I've been pondering real life vs MN names too.

KnottyAndPistey Fri 07-Sep-18 09:22:16

Do whatever you feel most comfortable with, honestly its all good

or you could be

First name (so still actually anonymous)
then MN nickname underneath

KnottyAndPistey Fri 07-Sep-18 09:22:47

The group is ready if you are on FB
But this is the latest info...

KnottyAndPistey Fri 07-Sep-18 09:23:00

More info about our event!

We are both looking forward to this event enormously, and it's not far away now! It will be wonderful to meet and chat to everyone, and in our woolly world there's no such thing as strangers, just friends you haven't met yet!

During our Hugathon, we will be making 6 and 12 inch squares and joining blankets for our Snug, Candy’s and Kinship (classic palette) projects. We will have stations/tables set up and will provide SSDK and equipment for the session, but obviously if you'd like to bring your own please do.

Do come armed with your 4mm hook/needles!

If you'd to make and bring squares for these particular projects to start us off, then that would be fabulous, we will be bringing squares we already have to help.

We will have yarn and gorgeous bits and pieces for sale from the very lovely Oddballs and Seeded, and if they arrive in time, fingers crossed, our latest Woolly Hugs mug design will make a preview and be on sale too. We have a Woolly Hugs stylee lucky dip at a £1 a go as well. All in, you may want to bring cash/cards!

Your ticket price includes a Woolly Hug bag and 'special gift' we hope you will love both things, but they are a SURPRISE!

It will be more friendly if folk have name badges and we will be bringing sticky labels, but if you'd like to make your own name badge in advance, something possibly with neon flashing lights and glitter <arf> then please fill your boots! Use whatever name you like, real name, your nickname, whatevs, all good.

We will be happy to collect any woolly treasure you have to save you postage, so squares for latest blankets, items for ongoing projects. Just please bag and label, we will have a collection point in the room. Also we are about to start collecting the old £1 coins, so dig out any that may be loitering for our jar. We can still pay them in!

The Square Tower will be running their cafe for us, and our experience is that it is wonderful on the cake and coffee front, but obviously do bring a sarnie if you'd like. They do have gin obvs!

Um, what else??!!

We'd love to take pics on the day and share on here, but will do so without adding manes, if this is a problem for you let us know at the time.

Travel info is here on the original post
www.woollyhugs.org/2018/03/29/the-great-woolly-hugs-hugathon-event-30-9-18/

There may well be more things we think of!

Please any questions do post below.....

Squeeeeeeeeeeee

KnottyAndPistey Fri 07-Sep-18 09:23:42

There are 4 more tickets left if anyone else finds they can come, we'd love to have you!

TheWoollybacksWife Fri 07-Sep-18 09:31:23

sad it all sounds marvellous and I'm really sorry I can't come. I had a vague suspicion when I bought my ticket that I'd double booked myself.

Will there be Hugathon2?

KnottyAndPistey Fri 07-Sep-18 09:33:45

If this goes ok, then deffo Woolly!

KnottyAndPistey Fri 07-Sep-18 09:34:01

We will send you your bag and Thing

KnottyAndPistey Fri 07-Sep-18 09:34:29

Just an addition, no need to print off tickets as we have a List

gin

MrsJonesAndMe Fri 07-Sep-18 14:19:15

So excited!

Thanks for all the info

SoupDragon Fri 07-Sep-18 14:30:38

but will do so without adding manes

Neigh!

KnottyAndPistey Fri 07-Sep-18 18:46:54

<crying>

grin

TwitterQueen1 Sat 08-Sep-18 11:24:24

Thank you MrsJones I knitted and crocheted as a teenager but that was decades ago!

I'm bringing squares! Here are my 2 latest - I do like this pattern. These are for Early Bird Chernobyl.

TwitterQueen1 Sat 08-Sep-18 11:25:02

This time with pics

SoupDragon Sat 08-Sep-18 11:26:01

Ooh, very nice smile

Spindelina Sat 08-Sep-18 20:27:51

Any tips for what DH, DD(6) and DS(1) can do while I’m hooking? We’re planning to go to the dockyard on Saturday.

I’m also assuming it’ll be OK if they pop their noses in?

Meet0nTheIedge Sat 08-Sep-18 23:14:31

Depending on the weather they could pop over to the IOW on the hovercraft or explore Southsea, there's a funfair, a very long seafront, boating lake/play area at the far end. Or go to Gunwharf Quays and go up the Spinnaker Tower, or cinema, restaurants, all very close by. If they have a car they could head out of the city to the Royal Armouries or Portchester Castle.

bookbook Sun 09-Sep-18 08:50:38

oooh DH was thinking of IOW , but thought the times were a bit off for getting much time there , will have a look!

Meet0nTheIedge Sun 09-Sep-18 09:32:22

The hovercraft goes from the beach at Clarence Pier and goes straight to the beach at Ryde in about 10 minutes. The passenger ferry goes from Portsmouth Harbour station and takes about 25 mins to Ryde pier head, where there is a train into town and on around the east side of the island. Ryde is a fairly traditional seaside town, quite hilly, sandy beaches (unlike Southsea which are shingle).

I can easily while away an afternoon around Southsea and Old Portsmouth. The square tower (our venue) has a small beach right by it which is very sheltered and good harbour entrance views. Walk along to Clarence Pier via the old Garrison Church and back through the High Street past the cathedral. It's a nice area.

MadisonAvenue Sun 09-Sep-18 10:20:33

I so wish I could come to this! I feel so left out 🙁

My cousin has waited 57 years to get married and decides to finally do it that weekend, if the wedding had been local then I could've got a train down on the Sunday but for some reason she's chosen a venue which is 3 hours away (but not in the South which would've made the Hugathon even more doable).

On a positive note though I'm chuffed to bits to read that the Hovercraft still operates!

DropZoneOne Sun 09-Sep-18 10:46:22

Ooh, I need to plan how to get there! Train, drive or get OH to bring me down and he and DD go off for the day.

I also need to construct the kinship hug that I've been dipping in and out of for a year so I can bring it with me.

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Mon 10-Sep-18 19:35:57

Just checking in smile I am really looking forward to this

MrsJonesAndMe Mon 10-Sep-18 21:23:02

DH and DC will be spending it on the beach/fair etc

bookbook Mon 10-Sep-18 22:00:24

all these DH and DC's will be bumping into each other grin

Spindelina Tue 11-Sep-18 19:05:44

They need a parallel activity track!

KnottyAndPistey Thu 13-Sep-18 17:28:43

So excited!

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Thu 13-Sep-18 18:31:18

I've got snazzy badge making supplies so me and TQ will be easily identified as troublemakers glitterball

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Thu 13-Sep-18 18:34:21

Sorry, that should be TQ and I shock I will blame having spent the day on the chemo unit being systematically poisoned. Now home under my WH blanket smile

I'm a slooooow knitter/crocheter these days so I'm telling myself that even if I manage one square that will be one more square than you'd have otherwise... should we bring patterns or are we making plain ones?

bookbook Thu 13-Sep-18 18:59:12

I am hoping expecting to do squares with a bit of a pattern, but considering how nosey I am and how chatty it may be , I may have to do simple grannies! Bringing knitting needles too, just in case anyone needs help .
Mmm - you have raised the bar re badges - shall have to think of something now ...grin

Polter Thu 13-Sep-18 19:22:21

So sorry, but I also can't come any more as my dp has taken a job working away and I need to be at home sad

MrsJonesAndMe Fri 14-Sep-18 20:20:16

Oh no Polter what a shame for you sad

I am not making a badge will have to make do with a sticker nabbed off K&P

I will be doing plain solid grannies (well I'm so slow that maybe just one 12")

A week to go smile

NorksAreMessy Fri 14-Sep-18 20:24:34

Darlings I am soooo suffering from FOMO here (despite not actually being able to knit or knot)
I hope you are the most fabularse time and ......nope, I am too jealous to be nice

envy

bookbook Fri 14-Sep-18 20:34:24

MrsJ - 2 weeks surely ???? < goes to check calendar >
Polter - nash and double nash ...

diamantegal Fri 14-Sep-18 21:12:01

So jealous of you all - wish I was going too! Although I'm going to a friend's 40th birthday party which will be fun too, but will involve more wine and less wool.

Hoping to make the next one, especially if it's near Teddington Towers next time - I assume this is the start of something beautiful?!

MrsJonesAndMe Fri 14-Sep-18 21:13:35

Ooops blush

TwitterQueen1 Fri 14-Sep-18 22:20:15

If Leslie behaves I will too wink

elephantoverthehill Sat 15-Sep-18 09:12:22

Please, does anyone have a spare ticket? sad

bookbook Sat 15-Sep-18 09:15:24

elephant - I think Woollybackswife bought one, and now cannot go - is it worth messaging her, or asking K&P ? - I'm sure I read a few were still available through a couple of places - the ones who are selling some craft stuff there - Seeded and Oddballs I think?

TheWoollybacksWife Sat 15-Sep-18 09:18:53

@elephantoverthehill you can of course go in my place if it's ok with K&P

elephantoverthehill Sat 15-Sep-18 09:23:49

Thank you Woollybacks can I pm you? Thank you Book for suggesting this.

elephantoverthehill Sat 15-Sep-18 09:31:28

@KnottyAndPistey is the above ok with you guys?

TheWoollybacksWife Sat 15-Sep-18 10:05:30

If it is possible K&P then let elephant have the ticket and the associated benefits and consider my original purchase as a WH donation.

elephantoverthehill Sat 15-Sep-18 10:10:58

How generous of you TheWoollybacksWife! I will of course pay for the ticket, I just need to know how to do this as I cannot do it through the ticket bit of the website.

KnottyAndPistey Sat 15-Sep-18 13:02:18

Morning!

We are hoping to run a Destash table at the Hugathon and are busily going through our own collections! So if you have any yarn/crafty bits you’d like to donate please bring them along. Huge thanks 😘

NB. We can’t destash any annoying family members btw 😃😃

KnottyAndPistey Sat 15-Sep-18 13:02:41

Elephant!

KnottyAndPistey Sat 15-Sep-18 13:03:47

All more than ok! Will add you to the Guest List, maybe just pay on the day?

elephantoverthehill Sat 15-Sep-18 14:10:27

Great, see you all in a couple of weeks then.

MrsJonesAndMe Sat 15-Sep-18 15:26:06

I have a bag of Snug palette yarn that I won't have time to use up, so will bring that along if anyone can use it - either from the meet or to be sent out to someone.

Okki Wed 19-Sep-18 08:16:54

I'm really looking forward to meeting everyone. Still not decided if I'm coming in my own or if family coming with me. Going to have to borrow my Mum's shopping trolley though to bring stuff 😁. 🐑 💕

KnottyAndPistey Wed 19-Sep-18 09:35:59

So excited, and fretting in equal measure!

But have seen the event bag that folk get and it is a new design and colour way and totally fabulous!

And the gift that will go inside is here <scream>

bookbook Wed 19-Sep-18 15:46:03

no fretting now K&P - its going to be fab! smile Is it okay to bring destash yarn for Little Hugs/Refugees ? - I have been gifted loads which I'm not sure I will get through in a million years smile
Okki DH has offered to drop me off at the front ( if thats possible of course) , as I don't have a shopping trolley ....I'm going to look like a bag lady ( not hard actually , anyway! )

Meet0nTheIedge Wed 19-Sep-18 16:09:53

I keep getting given yarn too, which I'll never use my own stash is big enough so I will come with that.

elephantoverthehill Wed 19-Sep-18 20:22:41

I've got some yarn stashes that I'll never know what to with, bought with a very creative project in mind on impulse . Will these be welcome too or just WH type yarns?

Spindelina Thu 20-Sep-18 21:52:27

We’re coming by train. How much destash yarn is it reasonable to ask a 6yo to carry?

bookbook Thu 20-Sep-18 22:36:50

not carry Spin - borrow a trunki and fill that!

SoupDragon Fri 21-Sep-18 07:02:33

Yarn is only light. Load them up like a donkey with panniers.

elephantoverthehill Sat 22-Sep-18 21:30:50

Just because I am nosy, how far are folks travelling for the meet up? I am just across the water so not far.

Meet0nTheIedge Sat 22-Sep-18 22:11:49

About 45 min drive for me.

TwitterQueen1 Sat 22-Sep-18 22:51:18

Google says 55.3 miles, except I'm going via Newbury and Basingstoke (if anyone wants a lift) so it will be a tad more than that... I'm guessing 1.5 hours.

bookbook Sat 22-Sep-18 23:08:08

erm - 280 miles ! ....in fairness, DH and I are travelling down as part of a long weekend , - stopping half way down on the Friday night , with a day in Portsmouth on Saturday

elephantoverthehill Sat 22-Sep-18 23:13:14

I thought you might be travelling a long way Book. Enjoy your long weekend.
TQ how lovely of you to offer a lift to anyone. I cannot do similar as I will be going over on the hovercraft.

MrsJonesAndMe Sun 23-Sep-18 07:31:58

60 odd miles - staying the night before.

Iwantacampervan Sun 23-Sep-18 08:37:32

13 miles - I'm not sure whether I'm going to drive down or take the train (assuming no engineering works!)
It's a very wet day here today - hopefully the lovely warm sunshine will be back for our day by the sea.

elephantoverthehill Sun 23-Sep-18 08:47:50

Yes Iwant it is very wet in this part of the world atm. I am going to take DS to rugby training in a bit. I told him he will have to make his own way there next week, he was a bit confused. I think he has somehow got 'Woolly Hugs' and 'Huggy Bear' mixed up.

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Sun 23-Sep-18 09:40:56

I'm going on a road trip with TQ grin

TwitterQueen1 Sun 23-Sep-18 09:51:17

Maybe our name badges should be Thelma and Louise!

DropZoneOne Sun 23-Sep-18 14:26:56

55 miles for me, along the coast

Looks like I'll be driving, the trains take forever!

Spindelina Sun 23-Sep-18 17:13:38

We’re about 80 miles away.

We are unburdened with car ownership; thought about hiring a car for the day but decided to make a weekend of it.

I was on s beach last weekend - with you all in hoping for the good weather to return!

KnottyAndPistey Sun 23-Sep-18 18:10:15

Can anyone in here just check if they got an email from us re the event?!

The thought of Leslie and TQ on a road trip makes me grin

Just stop short of this point when you get to the seaside yes?!

Meet0nTheIedge Sun 23-Sep-18 18:19:00

No, but someone else bought my ticket for me. I know where to go though.

TheWoollybacksWife Sun 23-Sep-18 18:23:04

I got an email.

Knotty and Pistey did you see my question on last year's Chernobyl thread?

TheWoollybacksWife Sun 23-Sep-18 18:26:25

I should have said I tagged you - I don't expect you to be psychic grin

bookbook Sun 23-Sep-18 18:28:14

I have an email smile

elephantoverthehill Sun 23-Sep-18 18:29:36

I haven't got an e-mail from you K&P but I am not on the 'official' list yet I guess.

Iwantacampervan Sun 23-Sep-18 18:32:45

I have an e mail - getting excited!

KnottyAndPistey Sun 23-Sep-18 18:42:12

This is the email contents..

We are both looking forward to this event enormously, and it's not far away now!

It will be wonderful to meet and chat to everyone, and in our woolly world there's no such thing as strangers, just friends you haven't met yet!

During our Hugathon, we will be making 6 and 12 inch squares and joining blankets for our Snug, Candy’s and Kinship (classic palette) projects. Photos attached. We will have stations/tables set up and will provide SSDK and equipment for the session, but obviously if you'd like to bring your own please do.

Do come armed with your 4mm hook/needles!

If you'd to make and bring squares for these particular projects to start us off, then that would be fabulous, we will be bringing squares we already have to help.

If anyone is up for giving a quick lesson, knit or crochet for beginners or to help someone out, please let us know

We will have yarn and gorgeous bits and pieces for sale from the very lovely Oddballs and Seeded, and our latest Woolly Hugs mug design will make a preview and be on sale too. If they arrive in time there may be a few other special Woolly Hug items too. We have a Woolly Hugs stylee lucky dip at a £1 a go as well. All in, you may want to bring your money, Seeded can also take cards, and we can take Paypal if you have the app!

Your ticket price includes a fabulous brand new style/new colour Woolly Hug bag and 'special gift' which we hope you will love!

It will be more friendly if folk have name badges and we will be bringing sticky labels, but if you'd like to make your own name badge in advance, something possibly with neon flashing lights and glitter <arf> then please fill your boots! Use whatever name you like, real name, your nickname, whatevs, all good.

We will be happy to collect any woolly treasure you have to save you postage, so squares for latest blankets, items for ongoing projects, Christmas craft etc. Just please bag and label, we will have a collection point in the room. Also we are collecting the old £1 coins, so dig out any that may be loitering for our jar. We can still pay them in!

The Square Tower will be running their cafe for us, and our experience is that it is wonderful on the cake and coffee front, but obviously do bring a sarnie if you'd like. They do have gin obvs!

No need to print off tickets, we have a List 😎

We'd love to take pics on the day and share on here, but will do so without adding names, if this is a problem for you let us know at the time.

Travel info is here on the original post
www.woollyhugs.org/…/the-great-woolly-hugs-hugatho…/

Excited muchly!

KnottyAndPistey Sun 23-Sep-18 18:42:46

On it now WB, two ticks xx

TwitterQueen1 Sun 23-Sep-18 19:18:56

Oh so excited! I will be bringing around 12 snug 12" squares (may be more, depending on how many I can get done before Sunday) and would love to see and learn how to join together, along with understanding any colour / shape / design rules for optimal results!

Haven't checked my work email yet (MN login email), will take a look tomorrow pm.

I promise I will stop!

ChippingInLovesWoollyHugs Sun 23-Sep-18 20:10:30

Hi All

Sorry I’ve not posted, I’ve had issues with logging in. It has been horrible not being able to contact my MN friends...anyway, all is well now.

I’m heading down Friday night or Saturday morning. I haven’t booked accommodation yet (long boring story) but I’ll go and do that soon.

The Hovercraft sounds like fun, I might do that on Saturday 🤣. It’s been a Very Long Time since I was on a HC. At the moment the weather is looking partly sunny/partly cloudy, but who knows. If it’s rubbish I might just find a pub with an open fire and a view of the sea 🤣

Renovations are going slowly and killing my hands, so not sure how much I’ll get done, but I’m so looking forward to meeting everyone, learning new stitches, and drinking gin of course.

Such a shame many of you can’t make it - hopefully next time 😊. We will have to schedule it for when Polters DP is home or she can find a willing babysitter! ...and ‘other people’ need to not schedule weddings for WoollyWeekends, or double book themselves....deep sigh <priorities people, priorities>

K&P Don’t be dafties! NO MORE WORRYING You’ll be there, we’ll be there. NOTHING else matters, it will ALL be fine. Imagine the very worst scenario...then realise that whatever it is, between us, we can sort it out. We are Woolly Vipers! Relax, look forward to it, don’t stress 💐😘

ChippingInLovesWoollyHugs Sun 23-Sep-18 20:13:27

I got my email 😊

MrsJonesAndMe Sun 23-Sep-18 20:28:15

Got it too smile

TwitterQueen1 Sun 23-Sep-18 20:44:17

Email has arrived!

elephantoverthehill Sun 23-Sep-18 21:04:58

K&P I did receive an e-mail from you but it wasn't that ^^ one.

ChippingInLovesWoollyHugs Mon 24-Sep-18 11:01:54

Elephant the e-mail came via the Event booking site so I’m guessing you won’t get one as it’ll go to Woolly. I didn’t get another one though...am I missing out on anythung exciting?! 🤣

SpiralArchitect Mon 24-Sep-18 11:15:14

Just dropping by to say I hope you all have a fab time on Sunday.

So sorry I can't be there - would've been lovely to meet everyone (blame BIL for having the audacity to have a Big Birthday that weekend!)

gin to all

Okki Mon 24-Sep-18 17:13:37

Just checked and I have email too. I'm coming 204 miles so not as far as book. In usual disorganised fashion, no idea how I'm getting there grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: