Talk

Advanced search

Woolly Hugs. A Blanket for the family of Mumsnetter JsOtherHalf who very sadly died recently

(242 Posts)
KnottyAndPistey Sun 22-Jul-18 14:27:34

Desperately sad news we are afraid, the long standing Mumsnetter JsOtherHalf died suddenly on June 9th from an asthma attack, absolutely shocking, life has been so utterly cruel to her, her young son aged 11, husband, family and friends, our hearts and thoughts are with all who love and miss her. There is a thread of condolences here

Her wonderful DH has said how overwhelmed he is with how capable of goodness people are, and we are so pleased he has accepted our offer of a Woolly Hug.

Many of you will have come across JsOtherHalf posting on MN, she was very often the voice of calm and reason on AIBU and the litter tray, but loved giving support and advice whether it was about eczema treatments, to swimming lessons, relationships, laundry bins or school reading. Our site needs folk like her and she will be missed. We are so glad that we can do something now for her son and husband, but we shall need your help.

We have quite a few ideas for squares, which if anyone can undertake would be fantastic, but simple squares in the colours will be great too.

She loved Huddersfield Town football club
The family initials are K, J and W
She loved reading Harry Potter, Mumsnet, Terry Pratchett, internet stuff
She loved Chris De Burgh, Neil Diamond
They have two tabby cats
She loved and supported the charity Cerebra
Could anyone embroider the word ‘Groovy’ on a square? Also ‘ginger ninja’

Colours
We shall be working the colours around her beloved Huddersfield Town and her love of purple, so..

*Rich mid and darker purples.
*Blues, from light blue, through to denim
*Cream - one of the following - Debbie Bliss Rialto DK 02 ecru, Jenny Watson Pure Merino DK WM4 cream, or Drops Merino 01 off white

Then for accent colours (not whole squares) and embellishments
*Yellow stars for Cerebra, and Harry Potter lightening bolt
*Orange
*Mid to light silvers
*Plum
*Red (one of these two please, Drops Merino Extra Fine 11 Red, or Jenny Watson Pure Merino DK WM6 ‘Ruby’ please)

The yarn we will be using
Debbie Bliss Rialto DK
Drops Merino Extra Fine DK
Jenny Watson Pure Merino DK
Katia Merino 100% DK
King Cole Luxury Merino DK
Sublime Extra Fine Merino Wool DK
Patons Merino Extrafine DK

Just from the brands listed please because we know they combine for wash and wear. If you still have any of our wools that have been discontinued - Artesano Superwash Merino DK, Rowan Cashsoft DK, Debbie Bliss Cashmerino DK or James C. Brett Pure Merino DK in your stash, please do use them.

Our listed yarns are all easily available online - Wool Warehouse, Wise Badger, Laughing Hens all v good and stock our brands.

Squares to be six inches please. Use 4mm needles or hook. Make sure all ends are very securely sewn in. No blocking please as it makes squares harder to join.

Simple or complex, made by beginner or expert, we genuinely welcome them all. It really is the love and thought that counts. When ready for posting, it will be the Teddington address, if you would like to include a card for the family, please do, we will pass it on. Please though do wait until after September 1st, don’t want any treasure getting stuck in the sorting office.

Sending so much love to JsOtherHalf's son and DH and all who love and miss her xxx

KnottyAndPistey Thu 08-Nov-18 11:05:55

Post away lovely okki - still time, constructing for Lottie at the mo xxxx

TwitterQueen1 Sat 02-Feb-19 18:16:49

Hello @KnottyAndPistey

Have I missed seeing this blanket? Is it finished? Just wondering!

KnottyAndPistey Tue 05-Feb-19 19:41:34

TQ!!!!

This is the one under construction right now. Just begun hoping for end of Feb.

brew

TheWomanTheyCallJayne Sat 11-May-19 12:49:38

J just sent me a picture of it. It’s beautiful and made me cry.
Thank you so much all of you.

minardiforever Sat 11-May-19 14:49:06

Wow, thank you doesn't even cover it!

I'm the "J" in JsOtherHalf, and the stunning blanket you've made in K's memory arrived today. It's beautiful and myself and my son love it 💜 I've had the kitchen and dining room remodelled and the footstool storage for the new kitchen sofa is a perfect home for the blanket. As a new user I can't post photos, I've sent one to to Jayne above so she might like to post it for me?

Next month will be one year since K passed away and she's missed every day. She spent much of her online life on Mumsnet, using her experience of working with children with learning difficulties to good use with advice where needed. I'm proud that she meant enough to people for you to make this in her memory. Thank you x

WitchDancer Sat 11-May-19 22:45:51

There's love in every stitch Minardi

TheWomanTheyCallJayne Sun 12-May-19 16:25:14

No problem, Minardi.
The ginger ninja on his spot.

KnottyAndPistey Wed 15-May-19 13:10:11

So glad we could do this for you both Minardi as I said in the email, truly love in every stitch for you both, we hope it is a fitting tribute to such a wonderful woman.

I took a pile of pics so am just creating the album, back with the link very soon xxxxx

KnottyAndPistey Wed 15-May-19 13:18:53

The link for our photo album is..

HERE

The most enormous thanks to all who helped make this for J and his son thanks

Yiayoula Wed 15-May-19 14:04:57

Lovely picture ! Sending hugs to you and the Ginger Ninja xx

bookbook Wed 15-May-19 15:12:11

oh, its glorious , and what a lovely picture . Much love in the stitches from us all minardi

SevenTillFour Wed 15-May-19 15:32:41

Love the picture! Much love to the Ginger Ninja and J, and many thanks to whoever did the little purple squares to "stretch" mine into shape!!

WitchDancer Wed 15-May-19 22:11:15

It is gorgeous, thank you for sharing the pictures

TwitterQueen1 Wed 15-May-19 22:21:23

It looks amazing! So beautiful.

QOD Wed 15-May-19 22:27:19

Beautiful blanket and gorgeous ginger ninja

MadisonAvenue Thu 16-May-19 11:03:27

What a fantastic photo! Sending much love to you both, I hope the blanket continues to bring you comfort but I'm so sorry that it was needed.

KnottyAndPistey Thu 16-May-19 11:29:56

@SevenTillFour - that was me, your square was no problem, I just chose for it to go in there, so needed 3 inches either side to make it fit in. The square is utterly perfect thanks

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: