Talk

Advanced search

C2C Crochet help please!

(18 Posts)
mustbemad17 Mon 04-Jun-18 21:35:47

Finally mastered the C2C - the decrease had me stumped for ages. Now working on some graphgans BUT the colour changes have me stimied. How on earth do you keep your tails at a minimum when you have colour changes?

My current pattern is one that has say 3 blocks of colour a, 2 blocks of colour b, 2 blocks of colour a then 5 blocks of colour c....is the best way literally to cut tails & sew them in??! If so i may cry

caribari72 Mon 04-Jun-18 21:39:15

Tails suck!

I would take a break every 10 or so rows, put the kettle on and get the needle out.

There are videos online showing how to work in new colour/yarn with no tail but I've never had the patience to sit through them and try it out.

What are you working on?? X

MrsHathaway Mon 04-Jun-18 21:41:08

Are you doing a pixel-style pattern?

I crochet over mine so they're tucked in as I go.

mustbemad17 Mon 04-Jun-18 21:53:44

This is my pattern. I'm now at the fiddly point where the grey, blue & orange are intermittent.

I hate sewing in tails, i can never make it look tidy 😔

JellySlice Mon 04-Jun-18 22:53:34

Do you have to sew them in? Could you not carry them along, so that when you draw a loop under the top of the row below, the tail of the previous colour sits on top of that row and is hidden when you draw the next loop through the loops on your hook? (Hope that makes sense!)

mustbemad17 Mon 04-Jun-18 23:10:48

Jellyslice that makes perfect sense, thank you. Won't that increase the amount of wool i use just needed an excuse to buy more

JellySlice Mon 04-Jun-18 23:51:39

On the contrary, it might even reduce the amount of yarn you use. For the shorter changes, like across the broken stripes, you'd probably carry along less yarn than the lengths of cut tails you would have to leave at either end (and sew in!).

It doesn't work for all colours. The black of the figures might show through the cream moon. In which case it might be easier to use opposite ends of the ball, eg man from the inside, woman from the outside, and carry the thread up to the next row without cutting.

JellySlice Mon 04-Jun-18 23:52:18

Can you tell that I also hate sewing in ends? grin

JellySlice Mon 04-Jun-18 23:54:39

Hang on, that doesn't quite work, as the man has two legs. Might need to cut the yarn there, if it shows through the lighter colours. But the main bodies should be possible to be done continuous.

mustbemad17 Tue 05-Jun-18 08:22:56

Haha i am glad it isn't just me!! Sewing in is the bane of my life, puts me off trying more adventurous patterns. I never even thought of using both ends of the wool, that will solve so many problems!!!

mustbemad17 Tue 05-Jun-18 18:08:08

Just wanted to show my attempt so far, am really pleased with it. Won't show the back yet haha it's a bit 'taily'

JellySlice Tue 05-Jun-18 20:12:22

Wow!

mustbemad17 Tue 05-Jun-18 20:29:00

There are SO many balls of wool hanging off it currently i keep getting tangled 😂😂

JellySlice Tue 05-Jun-18 20:58:29

Nappy pins. Pin the 'resting' balls to the blanket, out of your way until you need them.

JellySlice Tue 05-Jun-18 20:59:08

Low on the blanket, so they rest on your lap.

mustbemad17 Tue 05-Jun-18 21:15:47

Brilliant. Thank you! I love picking up tips to make my life easier

JellySlice Tue 05-Jun-18 21:30:10

Ravelry

MN for woolies grin

(They're fine BTW. They don't spam you.)

mustbemad17 Tue 05-Jun-18 21:50:35

Hehe i have a ravelry account, haven't used it in a while tho! Lost my crojo for ages, only just taken it back up again. So glad i have, might have been committed without something to focus on haha

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: