Talk

Advanced search

Newbie knitter here

(13 Posts)
MyGastIsFlabbered Tue 14-Nov-17 06:30:08

I’m new to knitting but would love to get involved. Would you be happy with plain squares as I’m not up to patterns yet. Or have you got any tips for a simple square that a new starter could manage?

tribpot Tue 14-Nov-17 06:52:03

The mantra is: plain squares are good, plain squares are essential. Don't worry - dive straight in. The value of plain squares is that they can go with everything, and they can be used for decorative motifs when a particular theme has been requested, So they are great.

I would start with a garter stitch square (every row knit, easiest thing there is) and then you could do a framed stockinette square, basically like this:

first five or so rows - knit (to make the bottom border)
row 6 - knit 3, purl to 3 stitches before then end, knit 3
row 7 - knit all stitches

repeat row 6 and 7 until the square is big enough, then do 5 more rows all knit. Voila. It's stockinette in the middle (alternate rows of knit and purl to make a smooth surface) with a garter stitch border to stop it from curling.

MadisonAvenue Tue 14-Nov-17 17:45:21

Hi MyGast
Plain squares are absolutely essential smile

These are a couple of very easy stitches to try
mysimpleknitting.com/andalusian-stitch/
mysimpleknitting.com/basketweave-stitch/

To get a 6" square, depending on your tension, you will need to cast on between 30 and 33 stitches on size 4 needles with double knit yarn.

MyGastIsFlabbered Wed 22-Nov-17 18:39:44

I’m also getting into loom knitting...any other loom knitters that can offer tips on flat panels?

KatyLovesKats Tue 03-Apr-18 20:37:31

Hi, I'm new too. I want to order some wool tomorrow. Can anyone tell me is there a colour (or two or three colours) that are really popular? I was going to order some from the Candy's Hugs range but wasn't sure if I'd finish the squares in time!

KnottyAndPistey Thu 05-Apr-18 14:19:11

New friends!!

Trib is literally the expert. You are in safe hands. Our Candy’s Hug project is just ongoing. We will have sent five blankets off this week to wonderful women undergoing treatment for cancer, so you can see we always need help

KnottyAndPistey Thu 05-Apr-18 14:20:02

Katy- you order the colours you like, then there’s even more if you in the squares xx

KatyLovesKats Thu 05-Apr-18 17:16:56

Thank you, Knotty. I have just knitted my first test square and it is an inch too big! I will try again with fewer stitches...

KnottyAndPistey Mon 09-Apr-18 10:54:50

My cast on is 28

Good luck! x

KatyLovesKats Mon 09-Apr-18 21:09:42

Oh, just seen this! Thank you, Knotty! I think I have done 29 for my garter squares and it's worked! And my first seed stitch square too - and it only has one mistake!

MrsHathaway Thu 12-Apr-18 13:26:46

And my first seed stitch square too - and it only has one mistake!

I go to a knitting club organised through church. We accept that every item MUST have an error, as only God is perfect. That's a mantra from Islam but with Biblical support grin

I must be extra churchy as I frequently make several mistakes per item blush

BuffyBee Sat 14-Apr-18 00:47:00

New knitter here! Going to try the stockinette.

KatyLovesKats Thu 19-Apr-18 20:08:48

How did you stockinette go, Buffy? I did a stockinette one but it was a bit curly when I took it off the needles! I might do another though because I do love a bit of stockinette!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: