Talk

Advanced search

Newbie knitter here

(4 Posts)
MyGastIsFlabbered Tue 14-Nov-17 06:30:08

I’m new to knitting but would love to get involved. Would you be happy with plain squares as I’m not up to patterns yet. Or have you got any tips for a simple square that a new starter could manage?

tribpot Tue 14-Nov-17 06:52:03

The mantra is: plain squares are good, plain squares are essential. Don't worry - dive straight in. The value of plain squares is that they can go with everything, and they can be used for decorative motifs when a particular theme has been requested, So they are great.

I would start with a garter stitch square (every row knit, easiest thing there is) and then you could do a framed stockinette square, basically like this:

first five or so rows - knit (to make the bottom border)
row 6 - knit 3, purl to 3 stitches before then end, knit 3
row 7 - knit all stitches

repeat row 6 and 7 until the square is big enough, then do 5 more rows all knit. Voila. It's stockinette in the middle (alternate rows of knit and purl to make a smooth surface) with a garter stitch border to stop it from curling.

MadisonAvenue Tue 14-Nov-17 17:45:21

Hi MyGast
Plain squares are absolutely essential smile

These are a couple of very easy stitches to try
mysimpleknitting.com/andalusian-stitch/
mysimpleknitting.com/basketweave-stitch/

To get a 6" square, depending on your tension, you will need to cast on between 30 and 33 stitches on size 4 needles with double knit yarn.

MyGastIsFlabbered Wed 22-Nov-17 18:39:44

I’m also getting into loom knitting...any other loom knitters that can offer tips on flat panels?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now