Talk

Advanced search

2017...Woolly knockers for community breastfeeding support

(62 Posts)
KnottyAndPistey Fri 19-May-17 18:45:57

This is a project to help community nurses who are on the hunt for more of these valuable props to enhance their breastfeeding support sessions. With so many babies born every year, they really do get through a lot! Breastfeeding is not always easy, and the woolly knockers are fabulous to help with latching, feeding, positioning and expressing demonstrations, and are such a useful tool for both new mums and staff.

Some of you will remember we have run very successful similar projects for the Brompton and Portsmouth a few years ago. Heading photo on this page from back in 2015. thanks

All the money in the world cannot buy this product so it’s a labour of love for the team. It's fun too! Thank you. x

“It doesn’t matter about the colour, shape or size, we are really thankful to everyone who knits and makes donations to us, and we would be very grateful to receive any more- the more the better!”

We’d love to be able to help them, will you join us?

Crafting info...

The Knitting pattern is here, on the Breastfeeding Network…

A suggested crochet pattern is here on Ravelry….

If you find others, do share any with us, so we can pass the info on. Thank you.

We’re suggesting any DK wool that can be machine washed, it's a great stash buster, but we do have yarn available if needed. Just message us x

If you are able to stuff them, please do, but we will also love to receive them flat, cheaper for you to post too, and stuff this end, if this option, please leave a long tail for finishing off.

Once your knocker is finished, please contact us we will give you all the details for posting, it will be the Woolly Hugs, South coast address.

Women come in all shapes and sizes, we really aren’t making a standard knocker here, differences are good!

If you need any more information, please do not hesitate to contact us.

We could do with more than a handful. 😀

As ever, many thanks.
Bless you… and your knockers. xx

FiveGoMadInDorset Fri 19-May-17 18:54:07

Oh fun, multicoloured ok? And can you confirm the size of needle for the knitting as it says uk10 which sounds very large

PurpleFrog Fri 19-May-17 19:10:38

UK10 is 3.25mm

FiveGoMadInDorset Fri 19-May-17 19:12:56

Thank you Purple, still novice knitter and wanting to expand my knowledge

bookbook Fri 19-May-17 19:24:16

I'll do some smile

KnottyAndPistey Fri 19-May-17 19:40:46

Fill your boots, folks. Any colours you fancy!

bookbook Fri 19-May-17 19:42:12

do we have a posting date?

FiveGoMadInDorset Fri 19-May-17 20:46:33

I have passed on the pattern to my lovely SIL who will do some as well. She isn't on MN but she has done a huge pile of squares fo Candy's Hugs which she is sending next week.

Jux Fri 19-May-17 23:47:52

I will certainly give the crochet a go when I've finished dd's cardigan! (Only peskies to go!)

KnottyAndPistey Mon 22-May-17 11:09:07

Last posting to be Saturday 1st July please.

NormansNipple Mon 22-May-17 23:37:59

The ravelry crochet pattern is listed in 'mature content' category grin

NormansNipple Mon 22-May-17 23:40:37

Erm, K&P, I never though I'd ask a question like this but should we make the nipple and areola the same colour? blush

KnottyAndPistey Tue 23-May-17 09:51:25

grin

Yes please, think that would be perfect xxx

NormansNipple Tue 23-May-17 16:42:54

Thank you. I'm not familiar with the finer points of breastfeeding confused

KnottyAndPistey Wed 24-May-17 08:54:46

You could make one and call it Norman

smile

Wolfiefan Wed 24-May-17 11:15:16

Pants. It appears that even the simple instruction to make one is beyond me. Sorry. Back to Candy's Hugs knitting. sad

NormansNipple Wed 24-May-17 12:44:28

That's sad Wolfie have you tried crochet?

K&P one boobie called Norman coming up! grin

Wolfiefan Wed 24-May-17 12:51:04

If I can't make one I think a magic ring would be beyond me! grin

yaela123 Wed 24-May-17 19:54:28

Oooh - I've never knitted boobies before grin

Jux Wed 24-May-17 21:47:09

"I shall go back to crocheting my breast" is a sentence I thought I'd never use.

I have made both parts -it looks like it might be a breast. A strange thing though, I simply couldn't keep the right number of stitches oer round. I was always off by a few. I'm assuming that if the two parts fir together OK then that doesn't matter?

I shall have to send my breast unstuffed as I have nothing to put in it. (THat's another sentence I had no idea I'd ever use grin .)

KnottyAndPistey Thu 25-May-17 09:10:24

Howl Jux!

KnottyAndPistey Thu 25-May-17 09:10:46

Can't wait to meet Norman the Nipple (and the rest of it) grin

NormansNipple Thu 25-May-17 13:39:36

Jux grin

Unfortunately Norman the boobie is on hold while I do some Manchester squares.

Does anyone know where we send the Manchester squares to?

KnottyAndPistey Thu 25-May-17 15:22:01

South Coast address Norm - same as Chernob squares, you got? x

Jux Thu 25-May-17 23:48:59

wink K&P - the first sentence was addressed to dd's boyfriend, of all people!

I only have the Teddington address (I grew up near there).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now