Talk

Advanced search

12" Crochet Squares - book recommendations or ideas please.

(7 Posts)
Fairyfellowsmasterstroke Thu 20-Apr-17 08:40:40

I'm hoping that someone can recommend me a good book/website with uk patterns for 12" crochet squares.

I'm planning on starting a blanket (Woolly Hugs style) but I'm struggling to find suitable patterns for 12" squares.

I know that one option is to follow a 6" square pattern and just scale it. This will be fine for basic granny squares but I also want to incorporate more "fancy" squares such as this one here and this one here.

My worry is that if I just follow the basic pattern and then do "X" number of treble crochet rounds to bring the size up to 12" I'll loose the impact of the lovely pattern.

Any ideas or advice for ideas will be greatfully received.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Thu 20-Apr-17 08:49:58

moogly...pretty sure the CAL they did last year, or maybe the year before was all 12inch square

only problem can be some of the patterns are only live for a certain amount of time, but on the whole there's plenty to look at on the Moogly site.

and don't be fazed by US/UK stuff....the are the same stitches but just different names

we have chain, dc, htr, tr, dtr, ttr, they have chain, sc,tr, dtr, ttr , you just need to be on alert for the term SC then you know its a US pattern.

Fairyfellowsmasterstroke Thu 20-Apr-17 13:06:08

Thank you Tondelaya. I've had a look at that site and seen some really good ideas.

I have done several US patterns and converted them into UK terms - problem is, at some point during the process, I usually forget and I end up doing a couple of rounds of dc when I should be doing trebles!!!

I suppose I need to be more organised and I need to rewrite the entire pattern before I start rather than doing it row by row.

SoupDragon Thu 20-Apr-17 13:09:16

The Moogly ones from 2015 and 2016 are, I think, guaranteed to be free forever. The 2015 one was done in Aran though - done in DK they come out at about 10" for me.

SoupDragon Thu 20-Apr-17 13:09:48

Ravelry has loads too.

rosesandcashmere Thu 20-Apr-17 13:13:26

Jan Eaton crochet blocks books are good. They have 6'' blocks but you can make them bigger

Fairyfellowsmasterstroke Thu 20-Apr-17 13:19:28

Soup - I'll log in to Ravelry and have a look.

Roses - I've got the Jan Eaton book (which is lovely and I'd recommend it to anyone), but I want patterns that fill an entire 12" square rather than just doing a 6" pattern and then extending it via rounds and rounds of Dc/tc.

Thanks for your replies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now