Talk

Advanced search

Total Beginner in the Ranks

(9 Posts)
Okkitokkiunga Wed 22-Mar-17 10:14:02

Hello you lovely Woolly Huggers,

I am so excited and just wanted to share. I've never crocheted a thing in my life, but I've been following your FB page for a while now and whilst I cry a lot, I love what you do. I have just ordered my first ever crochet hook (size 4) and a ball of wool (Stylecraft DK Special) and am now sitting impatiently hoping it doesn't take too long to arrive. I also have a friend who will teach me how to crochet and I am secretly hoping to rope her into doing some squares as well. grin

bookbook Wed 22-Mar-17 19:29:10

Hello! That sounds great . Its a lovely bit corner we are all busy chatting on the other threads- come and join us, get tips and all - any one will do, we are usually on several - Candys Hugs or Chernobyl, just jump in smile

1stDinkyDecker Mon 03-Apr-17 15:45:48

I was just going to start a thread. Mother's Day saw my first ever crochet hook and ball of wool

Can anyone recommend any how too videos? I've had a little dabble on Youtube, but am still struggling.

I can do a chain stitch, but so far could only make a scarf for a wormsmile

Any tips gratefully received.

BlackeyedSusan Mon 03-Apr-17 17:25:33

try videos, if you find those hard try diagrams. people like different ways of learning.

I learned from a 70's crochet pamphlet.

you could go into business selling tiny dolls house people scarves!

TheWoollybacksWife Mon 03-Apr-17 17:38:16

The Bella Coco granny square video is one that is often recommended on crochet threads. The Attic24 blog does clear step by step photo instructions too.

There is a thing to be aware of - UK stitch terms and US stitch terms are different. I know Attic24 uses uk terms and I think Bella Coco does too. Charts use symbols and the symbols are the same in either.

UK to US
Chain (ch) (uk) = chain (ch) (us)
Slip stitch (ss) (uk) = slip stitch (ss) (us)
Double crochet (dc) (uk) = single crochet (sc) (us)
Treble crochet (tc) (uk) = double crochet (dc) (us)
Double treble (dt) (uk) = treble crochet (tc) (us)

bookbook Mon 03-Apr-17 22:50:56

I learned with Bella Coco , and yes, it is UK terms . Nice and easy to follow, and you can pause, or go back to go over things again smile

Okkitokkiunga Tue 04-Apr-17 12:49:50

Hello 1st. I watched the Bella Coco's granny square tutorials on YouTube and they were really helpful. I also got this book out of the library which has diagrams in of your stitches which has helped me to understand how a pattern actually works. I am a visual learner so using both has been great as I am currently not getting on with just reading a pattern.

I been at it for almost two weeks now and thoroughly enjoying it.

MrsDilligaf Thu 06-Apr-17 20:30:06

okki it's such a lovely hobby. I thoroughly enjoy it. In fact I get quite cross about the fact that I have to go to work!

Sometimes I get quite emotional when I'm knitting or crocheting a square because the person who is likely to receive it has been through the worst of times. I will be having a lovely time making a square, enjoying my wonderful new hobby and then it will hit me that something that brings me great joy is being made for someone who is in the middle of a really dark time.

But I suppose thats why we do it - To give a bit of love to someone we'll never meet, but who needs a hug and a warm wish from a stranger. These blankets and bits and bobs we craft are those hugs and wishes made real.

X

Okkitokkiunga Thu 06-Apr-17 20:37:40

That sums it up so well MrsD. My DH said to me last night didn't I want to keep one square as it's the first batch I've ever crocheted and That's more or less what I told him. I get very emotional every time I think about the actual destination of all these squares.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now