Talk

Advanced search

A blanket for Jo Cox's family.......?

(54 Posts)
AGreatBigWorld Fri 17-Jun-16 11:36:14

I started a thread in chat and was directed here. I don't normally get involved in WH threads as I'm not a knitter but have been thinking of her husband an children. Could WH do them a blanket? I am happy to donate some wool!

spiderlight Fri 17-Jun-16 11:42:32

I think this is a lovely idea. I'd be happy to donate.

BrianCoxReborn Fri 17-Jun-16 11:46:27

I've just posted a link to this thread on WH Facebook, in case they don't see it here.

DowntonIsMyHome Fri 17-Jun-16 12:02:58

copied from chat thread...

DowntonIsMyHome

I had also thought of it too Great... especially since her husband said he wishes the children to be 'bathed in love'

it would fit perfectly

tribpot Fri 17-Jun-16 12:59:16

I wonder though if the Cox family are going to be a bit overwhelmed with stuff from people who (very understandably) want them to know how much we all sympathise with their dreadful loss.

Perhaps we could do a blanket in Jo's honour and auction it for a charity of the family's choosing?

fanjodisfunction Fri 17-Jun-16 13:26:18

Nice idea tribpot

Mycatsabastard Fri 17-Jun-16 13:27:10

What a lovely idea. I'm pretty sure her children would love a blanket to be reminded of their mum.

JocastaFarquhar Fri 17-Jun-16 13:43:33

I came on here to suggest a Woolyhug and I think it would be lovely for her children to have and if its too much then perhaps it could be auctioned. I don't knit but will donate.

KnottyAndPistey Fri 17-Jun-16 13:56:54

Hello, lovelies.

We are both out today but will have a chat re this when we can.

Will get back to you as soon as we can. X

MrsHathaway Fri 17-Jun-16 14:11:12

This would seem to fit very well with WH's normal aims.

You never know, she might well have been a MNer. Sounds like she would have fitted in.

FaithAscending Fri 17-Jun-16 15:22:53

Marking my spot because I'm relatively new to crochet but would like to contribute if I can.

fanjodisfunction Fri 17-Jun-16 15:56:47

I like tribpots idea, and it can be auctioned off for oxfam in her name, I think reading up about Jo Cox, she was always helping other less fortunate than her so seems fitting to contribute to a charity she had strong ties with.

Ilovewillow Fri 17-Jun-16 16:22:44

Lovely idea - I can knit (well a square anyway) and would love to help!

tribpot Fri 17-Jun-16 19:25:43

There's also WH refugee project, which we could do in Jo's name.

PeaceOfWildThings Fri 17-Jun-16 19:33:36

I'd love to make a square or 3. I don't live anywhere near her constituency and habe no connection, but like so many people, I've been really upset at hearing of the attack, and then her death.
I've been moved, too, by the request from her husband to not give in to hate.

A woolly hug would be a wonderful thing to make. Yes please, let's do this!

FedUpWithBriiiiiick Fri 17-Jun-16 19:35:21

I'm a novice crocheter, but would love to be involved in this if possible. RIP Jo Cox.

HerRoyalFattyness Fri 17-Jun-16 19:38:14

I might be able to help too. If finances allow i can knit a couple of squares.

Gazelda Fri 17-Jun-16 19:39:55

A lovely idea Tribpot

MrsUnderwood Fri 17-Jun-16 19:50:49

I'm a crochet queen and would also like to offer my services.

MayhemandMadness Fri 17-Jun-16 19:54:43

I'm in, can knit or crochet. Great idea.

BIWI Fri 17-Jun-16 21:37:00

I think this is a lovely idea. I'm happy to dig out my needles (I'm sure I have them somewhere hmm) or to make a donation.

BarbaraWoodlouse Sat 18-Jun-16 14:01:30

I haven't been around much recently but would be honoured to be part of any project that WH deem fit, either for charity or the family.

In a period of sad event after sad event this one seems particularly personal to Mumsnet and people like Jo, who represented the good things in the world deserve to be remembered and celebrated. flowers

ExtraHotLatteToGo Sat 18-Jun-16 14:26:37

I think it's a lovely idea.

If we do make one though, personally I'd like it to be given to her husband & their two children.

Jo's horrible & senseless murder has affected so many people - but let's not forget there's a man who has lost his wife and two children who have lost their Mum. I want to do it for them, not to raise money for charity - there are other ways to do that. I want them to know we are sending them love & warmth because of what has happened to them as her husband and her children - not because of who she was to her constituency, charities & people in general.

There's a Just Giving page if people want to donate to her 'top 3' charities or you can donate to Oxfam in her name.

HOWEVER, as lovely as this idea is and how much support we'd all give it, I'm not sure that some people realise just how much work these blankets are for Pistey & Knotty. It's a HUGE amount of work.

yougetme Sat 18-Jun-16 14:32:27

Surely the whole point of Wh is to make something that represents the hugs of /for a person who is no longer there. And as such is a personal item made specially for that purpose .

I agree that if a blanket is to be made then it ought to go to the family.
There are lots of other ways to donate to the charities Jo supported but this is one way WE can express our love and help bathe the children in it.

Maybe 2 small blankets?

PeaceOfWildThings Sat 18-Jun-16 15:31:15

I was thinking that too, yougetme. Glad someone could put it so eloquently! smile

flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now