Talk

Advanced search

Woolly Hugs: The Babettes, Billie's Blankets and Little Hugs.

(892 Posts)
KnottyLocks Tue 18-Jun-13 16:06:55

This is a continuation of our Little Hug and Billie's Blanket projects.

Little Hugs will continue to go to babies and children who are seriously ill in Yorkhill hospital and Billie's blankets will be sent in Billie's name, via the wonderful charity World Child Cancer, to children undergoing treatment for cancer in low and middle income countries.

Our aim with the Babettes is to make some bigger blankets for older children, both for Little Hugs and Billie's Blankets.
We will still make blankets of other sizes too.

THE BABETTES

The idea is to make a 12 x 12 inch panel, either crochet or knit, that can be added to others to create bigger blankets.
The panel can be made as one piece, or as a combination of squares, stripes or patterned. For example, a large granny square, or 4 six inch squares together, or a panel of stripes.
The design is up to you as long as it isn't too holey and will be fine stitched or hooked to others.
If you choose to use separate squares as part of your design, can we ask that they be either stitched together, hooked as you go, or hooked together with the seam on the back.

Yarn for Babettes: Stylecraft Special DK only, so we know that the blankets will wash and wear well and, unless your tension is very tight, use 4mm hooks or needles.

Colours: your choice although for practical reasons, we advise avoiding white and cream.
Some colour combinations that would work: blues/greens, purples/pinks, spring colours, primary brights, rainbow shades.

If you Google 'Babette blankets', you'll get an idea of what we have in mind once the panels are combined.

FOR WHOLE BLANKETS - Little Hugs and Billie's Blankets:

Minimum size: 18 x 18 inches for Little Hugs; 24 inches by 24 inches for Billie's Blankets.
If you would like to make a blanket that is bigger, that would be lovely.
The children we send Billie's Blankets to are aged 0 to 14 and Yorkhill treat children of a similar age so we will need bigger blankets too hence our Babettes.

Colours: Your choice.
Although again for practical reasons, we advise avoiding white and cream.

Things to avoid:
Any embellishments that could scratch delicate skin or could be swallowed.

Materials:
Suggested yarn for Billies Blankets: Stylecraft Special DK, a soft, non-scratchy acrylic yarn.
If you would like to make a whole blanket, you could use a different weight and make of acrylic yarn. The essential thing is that it needs to be soft against sensitive and delicate skin and that it can be washed and dried quickly and easily.
For Little Hugs: As above, plus any of our usual Woolly Hugs woolly wool or yarn that is soft and can be machine washed.

We would also love fleece backed quilts, or edged fleece blankets if you prefer sewing.

As always, we also welcome any 6 inch squares made using the Stylecraft Special DK or any of the usual Woolly Hugs blanket wools.

If you would like to take part in this project but feel you can't due to the costs involved, please PM Pistey and we'll try to help with materials.

As ever, thanks for your support. thanks thanks

Knotty and Pistey

Website- www.woollyhugs.com
Facebook ? MNWoollyHugs
Twitter - @MNWoollyHugs

KnottyAndPistey Mon 04-Sep-17 11:26:17

Morning chums! brew

DropZoneOne Sun 03-Sep-17 18:18:05

book fab, thank you. Will package up and send it off!

bookbook Sat 02-Sep-17 19:53:50

Drop - they told me to just send once its made , and not bother to wash first smile

DropZoneOne Sat 02-Sep-17 19:41:31

Thanks Chas, that's a good idea

DropZone
I post mine without washing. You could PM KnottyandPistey to double check.

DropZoneOne Sat 02-Sep-17 17:38:27

Hi all
I've just finished my first little hugs blanket and I'm wondering if I need to do anything to it before posting? I know squares aren't to be blocked but should I wash or steam the whole blanket?

Thanks in advance

bookbook Sun 06-Aug-17 22:05:16

its the front post/ back post stitches that make me stop and think Jux and I do much the same - just do the obvious thing - I don't suppose I will ever be truly proficient - I'm still a knitter at heart smile

Jux Sun 06-Aug-17 22:01:50

Ah book, it sounds so simple, but last night it was also "is that UK to US, or US to UK?" and more permutations than you could shake a stick at! The pattern further confuses me by saying "from the back, join colour B" and further on "from the front join colour whatever" and so today I have just joined colours as I see fit; well, they're joined so that'll have to do until some time in the dim and distant future when I know all things crochet-related <oh yes, one day, when I own a magic wand...>

bookbook Sun 06-Aug-17 21:31:34

Jux - smile - just add a loop , thats how I do it but I am doing so many US ones now, I think I'm okay. I have more problems coming back to do a UK and thinking it looks a bit loose and lacy! .
I have just started one called Velvet and Lace by Priscilla Hewitt.

Spindelina Sun 06-Aug-17 12:49:49

Thanks Jux. I've started on the blanket, and I'm enjoying doing it, so I think I'll carry on and then ask K&P if they want it. Otherwise I'm sure it'll find a home - possibly in my living room!

Jux Sun 06-Aug-17 12:10:43

Hi Spin, hi book! Got the message grin

I have used a bit of one Caron Cake so dd could decide if she wanted her cardi in that wool or another - she chose the other so beyond the test I did I haven't used it. Possibly the handwash thing put me off, so I'm afraid I can't help as I haven't done anything more with it, yet.

How are you all? I must investigate these Billie's Blankets and see if I can do anything now that I'm back in action. I was looking at Priscilla Hewitt as mentioned by you, book, and started on a square called something to do with pearls, and then realised that I couldn't remember the difference between US and UK stitches so went to bed instead grin

bookbook Fri 04-Aug-17 22:11:15

I have only just finished my construction, and I haven't had a baby ! smile
Those @ things - I'm not sure they work very well - someone did that to me, and I never got the email alert , but saw it on the thread luckily.
Hope the feeding gets easier - it can be tough until it gets sorted .

Spindelina Fri 04-Aug-17 22:00:07

Seven thanks! Babyspin is great - feeding not going brilliantly but I reckon we'll get there in the end. I have learnt that I can crochet with one hand free and the other one only able to move from the wrist downwards, but that I can't knit. And the construction project hasn't got much further!

book thanks for the tip.. I'll try this before I PM: @Jux, are you out there?

bookbook Fri 04-Aug-17 19:50:09

oh, not at all sure - how flipping annoying!
I'm sure I saw Jux asking about it I think she used it - is it worth a pm to her?

SevenTillFour Fri 04-Aug-17 14:05:07

Hello Spindelina - I've got exactly the same problem, so watching for help from those most experienced. I wonder whether the manufacturers put that on the label to cover themselves?? Isn't it only 20% wool?
How's babySpin? - congratulations!!

Spindelina Fri 04-Aug-17 11:02:40

I've got a Caron cake that I was intending to turn into a little hug, but I've just realised it's handwash only. Any suggestions?

Mhw02 Thu 13-Jul-17 12:45:42

Just posted two blankets but forgot to put a note in; they are intended for Manchester, but feel free to use them wherever you need them most.

KnottyAndPistey Wed 14-Jun-17 10:38:54

Lovely folk, we are close to sending out kits for our Hugs for Manchester project, most will be going to the Royal Manchester Children's Hospital, but some are earmarked for personal requests for families affected by events in both Manchester and London. Getting a bit ahead of ourselves here, but it will be good to have some helpers lined up, we are sorting kits tomorrow.

Please message usif you can help, we know we have just sent out a pile of Candy's and Refugee kits to the Crew, so please don't fret if you can't help at the mo. If we don't have your address, please PM us, thank you SO MUCH xxxx

Construction Crew FB is over here....

KnottyAndPistey Wed 14-Jun-17 10:01:51

Lovely Okki - I know yours are up now, sorry for the delay xxxx

KnottyAndPistey Wed 14-Jun-17 10:01:25

Thank you everyone, in a totally glorious way we were both overwhelmed with stunning squares for Manchester and have been trying to catch up since, we are meeting tomorrow to sort kits. So if anyone would like to take one on, please say or get to the Construction Crew FB group where we will be asking for lovely volunteers.

Had a request to make a blanket for a family who lost their daughter at Manchester, she liked Emma Watson's Beauty and the Beast, so will be picking out more of the yellows and blues, heartbreaking isn't it, but so glad we can. Thank you everyone. xxxxxx

NormansNipple Tue 13-Jun-17 12:52:39

Okki I saw your beautiful blanket on FB this morning - such lovely colours!

Okkitokkiunga Mon 12-Jun-17 09:19:52

Such a lovely load of squares arriving - it's heartwarming to see all that love. @KnottyAndPistey - Hope you've had mine too - I sent them first class about a week ago.

Treasures Wed 07-Jun-17 14:09:03

My Manchester squares have gone first class today. Meant to send them last week with my refugee squares, but had a busy few days and forgot to sort out what I'm sending for refugees! So will post those separately at a later date.

Okkitokkiunga Tue 06-Jun-17 19:30:54

I've posted off a selection of squares for Manchester and my Billie's Blanket.

MadisonAvenue Tue 06-Jun-17 18:34:01

Mine have gone in the post today. There're a few other bits in there too for other projects.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now